Morris engine advise

thedawnpatrol

Question

So, I thought I was at the stage where i might attempt to fire up the Morris 6 cylinder PU engine.

The background, the engine had not run in 50 years, but was free and turned on the crank handle, I removed the head, and the water pump and timing chain cover, I noted where the chain position was and recorded it then removed the generator thus slackening and removing the chain.

Next the engine went off to be rebuilt, and came back ready for me to put back together, again I could just see the marks on the chain and hoped I had it right, everything back together and installed back in the chassis.

5 months later brings us to now, so, I have an engine turning on the starter, I have the firing order right and a good spark at each plug.

I have fuel & the carb was rebuilt a while a go, it's an updraft soles carb, I have fuel in the carb, but it's not being sucked up into the cylinders, or at least there is no wet plugs, nor have I got the slightest signs of ignition ?

So presuming that for some reason that the fuel is not getting to the inlet, tonight I thought I would just try to spray quick start up the air intake, still nothing !

How can this be?

I know the basics of how it should work, but the dark art of valve timing baffles me, I almost think I have to start from scratch,

Presuming I have the chain on right after all it's like it's not sucking when it should, but even with plenty of quick start and prolonged turning over, still not even a shudder !

I have tried turning the distributor 180 too.

Any thoughts ?

Jules

10 answers to this question

From what you have written you say you marked the chain, it is not the chain you should have marked, but the relation of the sprockets to each other. Best way is to go back to basics. If you have a manual for that engine I am sure it will explain but if not, this is a rule of thumb when no data is available, place No. 1 piston at TDC and set the camshaft so that the inlet and exhaust valves on No.1 are ' on the rock', that is exhaust closing/inlet opening. Then put the chain on. You will then have to reset the distributor timing.

Hello Jules .

As Richard put it in to his message think it will be better to make a new start on your cam timing.

If you still have the original cam chain there are some bright links for the timing on the chain but you really need to have a good look because they are difficult to spot .

Had the same problem on my C4 engine !

Guy.

Is your choke working properly? I find that our C9B engine likes full choke to ensure a quick start. By reducing the airflow it gives extra "suck" to lift the fuel. After rebuilding the carb I adjusted the choke wrong so it wasn't closing properly. The engine refused to start and had dry plugs just like you've found. After fixing the choke position it fired up after a couple of seconds of turning.

Hi Ivor

Yes, you may be right, but I did close it as much as it would and even spraying quick start up the air intake it still refused.

So I have started to strip the timing cover off and have a look for those elusive bright links !

I'm hoping that I can do all this without having to take the head off ?

Cheers

Jules

Hi

If you suspect the ignition timing is out then its easy to check it .

Turn the engine over until No.1 piston is at the top dead centre of the compression stroke.

note where No. 1 lead is on the dissy cap and mark the dissy body with tape and pen in line with No.1 lead , remove the dissy cap and observe where the rotor is pointing . These OH 6 cyl. engines have a late initial timing , I think its 2 degrees after TDC . The rotor should be pointing towards the No.1 mark on the dissy body . Also observe the points and adjust until theya re just opening

Hope that helps Mike