Aec 08541742

HUC 981

Hi there,

I would like to hear from anyone who has preserved/restored an AEC 0854 model regarding the hydraulic braking system. Is it possible to get parts for servo motor or can the entire system be converted to full air?

Any info is welcome.

Its quite possible to convert an O854 to full air brakes. I have a O854 Coles crane that has been converted very badly, I am thinking that if I continue with this lorry I am just going to rebuild the brake system with the MK1 Militant system. However, I have also just bought another O854 Coles with original Vac over Hydraulic brakes and I intend to keep this one as it is, as its so original. With companies like "past Part" and loads of others there is almost nothing you can't get repaired/rebuilt (at cost). Certainly I would not for see any problems getting hold of brake seals and hoses.

Good luck with it Dan

Its quite possible to convert an O854 to full air brakes. I have a O854 Coles crane that has been converted very badly, I am thinking that if I continue with this lorry I am just going to rebuild the brake system with the MK1 Militant system. However, I have also just bought another O854 Coles with original Vac over Hydraulic brakes and I intend to keep this one as it is, as its so original. With companies like "past Part" and loads of others there is almost nothing you can't get repaired/rebuilt (at cost). Certainly I would not for see any problems getting hold of brake seals and hoses.

Good luck with it Dan

Thanks for reply, I was thinking of just fitting small air cylinder in place of original hydraulic one. Probably work ok if compressor can keep tank full... :red: The wagon has been sitting in field for 30 odd years but is in reasonable condition apart from cab. Engine turns and transmission should be ok. Owner reckons it did very little mileage when he used it as timber crane.

I have never seen an 0854 6x6 at vintage rally here in Ireland, are there many preserved in England? I know the place is full of 0853 Matadors over there. I just heard recently of two that went for scrap, not that far from where I live...so sad.:embarrassed:

Thanks for reply, I was thinking of just fitting small air cylinder in place of original hydraulic one. Probably work ok if compressor can keep tank full... :red: The wagon has been sitting in field for 30 odd years but is in reasonable condition apart from cab. Engine turns and transmission should be ok. Owner reckons it did very little mileage when he used it as timber crane.

I have never seen an 0854 6x6 at vintage rally here in Ireland, are there many preserved in England? I know the place is full of 0853 Matadors over there. I just heard recently of two that went for scrap, not that far from where I live...so sad.:embarrassed:

I know of about 6 O854 Coles cranes and about the same for the O854 refuels and a handful of timber tractors maybe a few more. There are bound to be more hiding away, but I would be certain there are no more than 30.

If you do convert yours to air, the best thing to do would be find someone breaking a Matador and get the front cylinder and mounting brackets from the front axle. The mounting bracket just bolt onto the swivel pins and are an easy fit. You also need to use the longer brake arms and quadrant adjusters from the Matador set up as the hydraulic arms are shorter and it makes adjusting the brakes far easier. The O854 hydraulic system requires special shims that go under the brake shoes to adjust the brake up. I would imagine these would be almost impossible to find and would have to be made. The rear I would just use cylinders and mounting brackets from a MK1 Militant. I think that you would also need to change the operating arms, but i have not looked into this yet.

What year is yours?

Edited by 16svt

I know of about 6 O854 Coles cranes and about the same for the O854 refuels and a handful of timber tractors maybe a few more. There are bound to be more hiding away, but I would be certain there are no more than 30.

If you do convert yours to air, the best thing to do would be find someone breaking a Matador and get the front cylinder and mounting brackets from the front axle. The mounting bracket just bolt onto the swivel pins and are an easy fit. You also need to use the longer brake arms and quadrant adjusters from the Matador set up as the hydraulic arms are shorter and it makes adjusting the brakes far easier. The O854 hydraulic system requires special shims that go under the brake shoes to adjust the brake up. I would imagine these would be almost impossible to find and would have to be made. The rear I would just use cylinders and mounting brackets from a MK1 Militant. I think that you would also need to change the operating arms, but i have not looked into this yet.

What year is yours?

It is August 1945,according to chassis number. We hope to at least get it running and mobile "this year..." but I'm sure you know the story yourself! It WILL be saved, I know that much. There is a Matador wreck on same site which may provide brake parts, I'll see how we get on. Problem is they are nowhere near to where I live...we only get a few hours at some weekends.

Front brake cilinders are the same on the MK1 militant , and Matador, Plenty available over here , because in a local yard there where about a 100 Militants cut up , but the axles are saved.
100 Militants cut up?? My God, that's nearly the worst scrap story I've ever heard. Did you know that after the war, there were around 200 Stirling bombers cut up at Maghaberry Airfield over here? The site is a prison now. Anyway, thanks for the info, it's always good to have contacts.