Cable connections

Hi all ferret owners. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can get hold of the large cable connectors that join the 'POS. & NEG.' Cable's which comes from the top of the distribution box to the generator box. I've got loads of the smaller ones but can't find these larger ones.

Cheers Steve.

Thanks Clive, is there another way of joining them which would ensure a good connection?

While on the subject of the distribution box, is it easy to strip down to see if the fuses are ok. I have removed it from the hull and taken off the back plate but can not see any fuse. Do I have to dismantle the power cables from the bottom and remove the internals to get to the front of the workings.

Steve those connectors are rated at 30A I'm not aware of any alternative bullet connector in the civilian market that can fit. Incidentally the smaller ones were originally rated at 10A but increased to 12A, certain types of commercial bullet connectors can fit, but the real thing is not that rare.

The distribution box has no fuses, they are circuit breakers that require some sustained overload before they trip. Although when they do trip they do not break the circuit completely as there will be a residual voltage due to the winding still being in circuit. So a tripped or failed breaker may exhibit full voltage on a multimeter but due to the resistance the winding this will drop to very little once some current is drawn by a load.

It is sometime since I have taken one apart. The most likely cause for failure is if moisture has got in & caused corrosion, but if it looks clean & doesn't smell charred. I would leave alone for now rather than make work for yourself. I have resistance readings if you want to test it before embarking on a dismantling exercise.

Steve those connectors are rated at 30A I'm not aware of any alternative bullet connector in the civilian market that can fit. Incidentally the smaller ones were originally rated at 10A but increased to 12A, certain types of commercial bullet connectors can fit, but the real thing is not that rare.

The distribution box has no fuses, they are circuit breakers that require some sustained overload before they trip. Although when they do trip they do not break the circuit completely as there will be a residual voltage due to the winding still being in circuit. So a tripped or failed breaker may exhibit full voltage on a multimeter but due to the resistance the winding this will drop to very little once some current is drawn by a load.

It is sometime since I have taken one apart. The most likely cause for failure is if moisture has got in & caused corrosion, but if it looks clean & doesn't smell charred. I would leave alone for now rather than make work for yourself. I have resistance readings if you want to test it before embarking on a dismantling exercise.

Thanks Clive your knowledge is very valuable and yes I think it may be a better idea to check out the resistance first. Some readings would be a great help. I think there is some moisture in side but can not see the breakers to see they have any corrosion to them. I will maybe get a hair dryer on the box and leave it open for while.

Cheers Steve.

Do you have any photos of the offending connectors? I spent quite a while looking for the very heavy duty main battery connectors for the Abbot rectifier which were originally made by AB connectors, but I eventually found a firm in Andover who still manufacture them.

Andy

Steve if you don't have a circuit diagram it is on page 69 of this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7yr2jjujgxuldo/ALL%20CHARGED%20UP%204%20ver4-2.1.pdf?dl=0

With the leads disconnected, to test the continuity of each circuit breaker with an ohmmeter it should read zero ohms on:

30A between AUX+ and B+

10A between R and INS

If they are not making contact at all, either coil winding would have a resistance of 165-191 ohms. If it is less than that there may be some high resistance crud on the contacts.

Steve if you don't have a circuit diagram it is on page 69 of this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7yr2jjujgxuldo/ALL%20CHARGED%20UP%204%20ver4-2.1.pdf?dl=0

With the leads disconnected, to test the continuity of each circuit breaker with an ohmmeter it should read zero ohms on:

30A between AUX+ and B+

10A between R and INS

If they are not making contact at all, either coil winding would have a resistance of 165-191 ohms. If it is less than that there may be some high resistance crud on the contacts.

Cheers for that Clive, a very informative file. I shall test the D.B. when it looks dry enough. Will let you know how I get on. Just got the MVT guy to come and verify the ferret so should have my reg. number soon. Just want to get in and take it for a spin.