Airborne Jeep modification (80 watt charging set)

Tom M

Hi,

Does anybody know how the 80 watt charging set was secured in the back of Airborne radio Jeeps? The designated area of the back floor isn't very flat, so trying to work out if it was just secured with footman loops, or if a purpose built frame was made as per the WS22 remote control unit etc.

Also, does anybody have he dimensions of the charging set exhaust muffler?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Does anybody know how the 80 watt charging set was secured in the back of Airborne radio Jeeps? The designated area of the back floor isn't very flat, so trying to work out if it was just secured with footman loops, or if a purpose built frame was made as per the WS22 remote control unit etc.

Also, does anybody have he dimensions of the charging set exhaust muffler?

Any help greatly appreciated.

I have a couple of these 80 watt charging sets and will take some pics. tomorrow and the dimensions that you ask for. John.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114040[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]114039[/ATTACH]pictures of exhaust and dimensions to follow later on today, John.

Slightly different and I don't wish to hi-jack your thread but I have been offered one of these and wondered what it might be worth please? Thanks Steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114047[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]114048[/ATTACH]If you need any more info. do ask, John.

I remember when working for REME, back in in early1980's, I had to make one of these flexible exhaust pipes, we actually received the silencer from Ordnance stock, but the pipe was n/a, but looking around, I found the flexible speedo cable for a Saracen, Ferret, etc. was the same size, just stripped the plastic covering off, made some brass ends and brazed on. The silencer is reminiscent size and shape of a cigar case.

Thanks for the pictures of the exhaust. I can't quite read the diameter of the pipe, can you let me know the size? Does the flexible end screw onto the cylinder or the cigar case silencer with the butterfly clamp?

Many thanks,

Thanks for the pictures of the exhaust. I can't quite read the diameter of the pipe, can you let me know the size? Does the flexible end screw onto the cylinder or the cigar case silencer with the butterfly clamp?

Many thanks,

Tom,

The pipe has a female thread at one end and screws on the exhaust stub on engine, the silencer clamps on the other end of the flexy pipe.