Womans Motor Corps of America

Great War truck

I came across an interesting article on the Womens Motor Corps of America. Very much like the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry. Middle, upper class girls who could drive an ambulance. The adverts look very patriotic but I don’t know if any of them made it to France. I suspect they were driving ambulances in the USA.

2_zpsqgy3dple.jpg

5_zpswloq3y5q.jpg

4_zps3ytsmi7u.jpg

3_zpsndquqjc1.jpg

I love this picture. The girl in the middle looks rather appealing and I suspect she might have a better chance of hitting her target compared to her two compatriots.

1_zpsfdckz5j2.jpg

Intresting, the woman on the left has a P07. Now three P07 were built in .45 ACP for American military evaluation. In fact it wa sthe American's who gave the P07 the name Luger, for commercial reasons. None are known to exist now,. However an American firm did make 6 replicas, at around $100,000 each! PS Dear it does help to open your eyes. Though if she has just let loose a .45 ACP from that thing, as the old saying goes 'It'd cause flinch in a cigar store indian'

Edited by Tony B

William Henry Margetson.jpg

This lithograph depicts a member of theWomen’s Auxiliary Air Corps (WAAC) attached to the Royal Flying Corps, as indicated by the RFC cap badge and shoulder titles.Women began to be enlisted in theWAAC in 1916, and by 1917 the Royal Flying Corp had all-female companies, who lived at home and worked in their nearest RFC Unit.

RFC Phelon and Moore Motorcycle

By William Henry Margetson (1861 - 1940)

Figure painter in oil and water-colour. Born in London and was educated at Dulwich College. Studied art at South Kensington and at the R.A. Schools. Exhibited at the principal London galleries from 1881, mainly at the R.A., RA., R.B.A., R.O.I, and Grosvenor Gallery. Elected R.I. 1909. Principal works include The Sea Hath its Pearls, Flowers of the Field, Wonders of the Shore and Virgin at the Loom. Lived for some years at Wallingford in Berkshire and died on 2nd January 1940.

The woman on the extreme left is wondering who shot the hole through the hat of the guy next to her.

Nothing like closing your eyes when shooting! Is she using a Lugar?

Bosun Al

It's a P07!!!! Luger improved on the original Borchart design nothing more. The American's sales people named it 'Luger' as P07 Parabellum (Prepare for War) wasn't considered good marketing. Three were built in .45 ACP for US Army testing, but the Colt 1911 designed by John Moses Browning, not Colt, was selected. If you can find the one outstanding P07 .45 ACP pistol, you won't be short of the cost of MV's for a while.:D

Caption;

The police lineup for identification of a criminal was a little too realistic for the witness..

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

PS- The middle woman does seem to be the one with a bit of experience. At least she has the right stance. Plus, hang one's eyes open is conducive to hitting the target. IIRC, the PO7 was not equipped with "set-n-fergit" homing bullets.

BTW, thanks for that PO7 reference. Didn't know that little tidbit and researching it led to a very enjoyable hour. Upon the conclusion of that, I went out and loaded about 50 rounds for my 1892 Webley Mark I. Been on a load development program for that old piece and it is nearing the end. Shooting better than it ever has in the 45 years I've owned it.

You can go off people. Thanks to our .............. politicians. >:(

Forgive my denseness... might be the distance across the pond... but I don't get the remark. I get the politicians part.... they succeeded with you and they re trying with us. "Go off?" That's the part I don't get.

Forgive my denseness... might be the distance across the pond... but I don't get the remark. I get the politicians part.... they succeeded with you and they re trying with us. "Go off?" That's the part I don't get.

He means dislike people. Brit slang expression.

We used to able to own and shoot pistols in the UK. Then an incident happned right before a General Election, and the rest is history.... :embarrassed: ie I'm as jealous as hell!!

One silly story of US/British slang. I was on the Tube (Slang for London Underground) A group of American teenagers got on. One very pretty young girl said to her male companion 'What did that guy call you? then she said so wistfully W*nker' 'We'll have that word all round the town when we get home.

I was on the floor laughing, as our UK readers will imagine. I then had the very embarrasing job of explaining to her that Er, it means what is politley called 'Self Abuse'. :red:

One silly story of US/British slang. I was on the Tube (Slang for London Underground) A group of American teenagers got on. One very pretty young girl said to her male companion 'What did that guy call you? then she said so wistfully W*nker' 'We'll have that word all round the town when we get home.

I was on the floor laughing, as our UK readers will imagine. I then had the very embarrasing job of explaining to her that Er, it means what is politley called 'Self Abuse'. :red:

Tony,

In the late '80 and '90s I was a Land Rover dealer tech (England trained) and later worked for Land Rover North America as an off-road driving instructor. Interacted with a lot of Brits and thought I had you guys figured out. Guess not! ( : < )

In the course of my LR career, I had to go back to Jolly-Old (Solihull or Eastnor Castle) for training. At one one such event, we were in a pub in Solihull and some of the younger single guys were whooping it up a bit and dancing with the local lasses. One of the gals was particularly energetic on the dance floor and one of our guys tried to complement her by saying, " Wow, you sure are spu*nky tonite!" He got a roundhouse slap for his trouble. After his head cleared, we explained the language. He tried to apologize but she wouldn't let him within 10 feet, eventually left, and probably curses Americans to this day.

Obligatory HMV content: Having driven some of these old trucks, those women must have been some pretty tough broads to have handled the likes of a FWD-B or a Nash Quad. A 4WS Quad on solid rubber is a double armful. In their early days, FWD had a female test driver, Mildred Sawyer IIRC, that was often seen in early advertising. Given her slight stature, I wonder if it wasn't a bit of an advertising put-on. I drove an FWD-B about 20 miles over dirt roads in Colorado. I was young and tough but still felt it after. I tested a Nash Quad for a Four Wheeler story back in the '90s and couldn't believe how hard it was to steer on pavement.

I trained for my instructors exam with a group of American girls. One walked into a room to announce she couldn't find her fanny bag. She then wondered why I and my mate sprayed tea over the room. Great fun! :D

Did any US females serve on the Western front? I'm embarased to say I don't know.:red: