Militant Mk1

Jack.h

Hi,

I've just bought a Mk1 militant, which needs a bit of work doing to get it back to good working condition.

I joined to hopefully find information on a few things and some parts.

firstly I can't find where the engine stop goes to shut the engine off, I can't see anywhere on the

injector pump where it has been.

also does anyone know where I can find the serial number and how I can date it from the serial number.

many thanks

jack

Hi,

I've just bought a Mk1 militant, which needs a bit of work doing to get it back to good working condition.

I joined to hopefully find information on a few things and some parts.

firstly I can't find where the engine stop goes to shut the engine off, I can't see anywhere on the

injector pump where it has been.

also does anyone know where I can find the serial number and how I can date it from the serial number.

many thanks

jack

Hi Jack,

To stop the engine you have to lift the accelerator pedal up. I recall hooking your toe under the pedal. I think the chassis number is at the front of the nearside chassis rail. Another thread on here currently show the location.

Hi Jack and welcome aboard, where abouts are you located.

As Richard said to stop engine pull throttle pedal up.

Should be 2 chassis number locations. Front nearside of the chassis in between the bumper and the cab, stamped into the chassis rail. And a brass plate with model details and number, again on the near side chassis rail just behind the cab, by the tyre inflator.

Number will start; 0859 for a 6 x 4 or 0860 for a 6 x 6. When you find it let us know so I can add it to the survivors list

I must insist on seeing photos please, we all like pictures on here.

Regards

Rob

Thanks for the info. I'm from Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

i tried the pedal but something seems to be a miss, looks like something is missing has anyone got a diagram or a photo they could send me, that would be great!!

the serial number is 0860 2234, is there a way to date it from this? And maybe find out its army history?

Having trouble uploading photos, il work it out shortly!

thanks

jack

I don't know if this will help you much with the throttle problem, unfortunately, it is the only picture in the book that relates to it, and worse still it appears to be back to front with the clutch pedal on the right hand side

001.jpg

The linkage goes from here down to the rear of the engine, through a cross shaft to the near side, where a second linkage connects it to the fuel pump. Movement of the throttle on the Tanker I have just acquired is very bad, but I think it is all just seized a bit at each joint making the whole linkage unserviceable, yours maybe the same.

Finding the age and Military history of the thing is quite easy, just takes a bit of work.

The Royal Logistic Corps Museum have a digital Archive Service here http://www.rlcarchive.org/ where you can log in and for a small fee have the military registration number traced, and if it is available the whole service record.

The British Commercial Vehicle Museum at Leyland here http://www.britishcommercialvehiclemuseum.com/ can look up the original AEC build records if they are available.

An educated guess on that chassis number would suggest a late model from the sixties and subject to MOT testing

PM also sent