Coolant in oil - B60 engine

njjeeper

I started draining the oil tank on the ferret and sadlay, about a cup of green coolant came out before the oil started flowing. The engine was removed by the PO almost 10 years ago and the breather on the tank has been open.

My question is, are there any typical areas on the B60 that fail and cause coolant/oil mixing? Are they prone to head gasket failure? Could there be an issue with the water pump that would allow mixing? I am looking for some places to start looking before I rip off the head to check the gasket...

'TJ

I started draining the oil tank on the ferret and sadlay, about a cup of green coolant came out before the oil started flowing. The engine was removed by the PO almost 10 years ago and the breather on the tank has been open.

My question is, are there any typical areas on the B60 that fail and cause coolant/oil mixing? Are they prone to head gasket failure? Could there be an issue with the water pump that would allow mixing? I am looking for some places to start looking before I rip off the head to check the gasket...

'TJ

The water pump will not be the cause of coolant in the oil. It might have occurred if the head had been removed and oil not changed, because it is quite possible someone could have lifted the head without draining the block down fully. Another possibility is that someone has poured coolant into the oil filler instead of rad filler, seen that done before. You could always pressure test the coolant system.

Richard/stronghold, I guess it's not as obvious with the b60, as you would normally see emulsified oil on the filler cap of a regular engine, but not so on a ferret? Would you see emulsified oil on the dipstick? Being a dry sump I think the oil level is checked in the scavenger tank so may not show emulsification?

just checking to get that straight in my mind.

mick

Richard/stronghold, I guess it's not as obvious with the b60, as you would normally see emulsified oil on the filler cap of a regular engine, but not so on a ferret? Would you see emulsified oil on the dipstick? Being a dry sump I think the oil level is checked in the scavenger tank so may not show emulsification?

just checking to get that straight in my mind.

mick

Mick

I know what you are thinking, filler caps which are often on rocker covers can have a creamy emulsification, often called "mayonnaise". This is often due to short running and condensation in the engine, emulsifying in the top end. If you dipped the oil in these instances it would be fine.

Now emulsified oil on the dipstick is more worrying as it can been either a coolant leak internally from crack or failed head gasket, the oil being whipped up on running. If this happened on a dry sump engine such as in a Ferret, Saracen, Stalwart, etc, yes the emulsifying would show in the tank as it is being circulated through the tank. Came on this once where a Stalwart owner bogged his vehicle and left it during a heavy rain period. The water had entered the crankcase through rear main and filled it. On starting it was quickly found that the quantity of water in the system was greater than the capacity of the oil reservoir and this creamy stuff was blowing out of the tank.

The original poster said his Ferret engine was removed 10 years ago, so coolant would have separated from the oil in that period so this is why I suggested pressure testing the engine cooling system, not difficult to block up top and bottom hose connections and fitting a tyre valve and gauge.

No mayonnaise oil, but as Richard ponited out without running for so long, any contamination would have separated back out of the oil.

It sounds like the best bet is to pressure test the system. If I block the bottom port and pressurize the top port with 15 psi, should the system hold indefinitely if there is no fault?

TJ

I know a guy (possibly me, but I'm not admitting anything!) that accidentally "topped up" the radiator by pouring a heap of water into the oil filler on his Saracen and drove it for about 30km. He's blaming a lack of sleep the night before an early start, but it may have just been rank stupidity. Fortunately there was no damage, aside from a horrible mess, and the oil that was drained out would best be described as looking like "chocolate milk" - it was obvious that there was water in it and it was thoroughly mixed with the oil (and blown out of the breather on the side of the hull).

I don't know what would be causing your issues with the B60, but it would be apparent that there was water in the oil, even on the dipstick, but the Saracen holds lots of oil and therefore takes a lot of water to make a noticeable difference.

Cheers,

Terry