1942 Willys Jeep

MatchFuzee

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to negotiate over the price of a running MB which needs lots of work to make it original. Unfortunately the seller is aware of the Bonham's sale prices so we're about £13000 apart in terms of price. £13000 apart!

Somehow I don't think it will become mine.

Edit: I've just been looking at Bonham's fees and, if I've worked them out correctly, the seller would have received something like £13,500 for the Jeep after the extraction of the buyer's premium of 25%, seller's commission of 25% and a warranty fee of 1.5%.

I don't know if the £23,000 included the 20% VAT on the buyer's premium. If it did, that would have been another £900 or so out of the seller's pocket. Phew! Who'd sell at auction?

Maybe I'm back in with a chance. The MB that I'm looking at is nowhere near as tidy as the Bonham's one, nor does it have any history to speak of.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden
More info.

I'm starting to negotiate over the price of a running MB which needs lots of work to make it original. Unfortunately the seller is aware of the Bonham's sale prices so we're about £13000 apart in terms of price. £13000 apart!

Somehow I don't think it will become mine.

Edit: I've just been looking at Bonham's fees and, if I've worked them out correctly, the seller would have received something like £13,500 for the Jeep after the extraction of the buyer's premium of 25%, seller's commission of 25% and a warranty fee of 1.5%.

I don't know if the £23,000 included the 20% VAT on the buyer's premium. If it did, that would have been another £900 or so out of the seller's pocket. Phew! Who'd sell at auction?

Maybe I'm back in with a chance. The MB that I'm looking at is nowhere near as tidy as the Bonham's one, nor does it have any history to speak of.

The buyer's premium is "only" 15% (plus 20% VAT = £600, which will be paid by the buyer) on the first £50,000, so the winning bid on the Jeep was £20,000. As Bonhams don't show their commission rates I've no idea what the sale will have cost the seller.

Aye, MatchFuzee, 15% buyer's commission is right. I was looking at the rate for automobilia. Oops.

Maybe the seller's commission is less than 25% on vehicles too - it does seem to be a bit steep.

I wonder just how much the seller took home.

I've just been trying to find what the seller's commission on a car at a number of auctioneers is. Not many show the % charged but those that do are charging 5% or 10% + VAT.