happy to meet you

Hello i m jean baptiste a french boy who search more information on british WW2 military vehicle, because in France is difficult to find parts or information.

I hope found answers to my questions, for the moment i have repaired too jeep 1 M201 and 1 GPW 1943 with smoke paint, i have for project to repaired CMP C60 S or C30 1941 cab 12 but i m not sure for the model this why i ask your aide.

Thanks.

Sorry for my english .

Welcome to HMVF. Your English is much better than my French. I have the same problem in reverse with two Simca Marmon MH600BS SUMB trucks to restore - there are never enough parts over here and I must learn more French in order to understand the MATs !

Regards

Iain

Hello i m jean baptiste a french boy who search more information on british WW2 military vehicle, because in France is difficult to find parts or information.

I hope found answers to my questions, for the moment i have repaired too jeep 1 M201 and 1 GPW 1943 with smoke paint, i have for project to repaired CMP C60 S or C30 1941 cab 12 but i m not sure for the model this why i ask your aide.

Thanks.

Sorry for my english .

Here is my jeep en d my new projectSDC10013.jpg

Photo0017.jpg

Hello Jean and welcome

I cant help you with identifying if its a C30 or C60s, do you have a chassis number on it you might be able to see the type from that, but I can tell you that it is not a Cab 12 you have but by looking at the nose, and the very small engine hatch it is an earlier Cab 11 Chevrolet you have.

You might also want to check out the http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/ there at alot of CMP vehicle owner on there aswell.

Cheers

Niels

Edited by Niels v

Hello Jean welcome to HMVF, Niels is correct you have a mid to late 1940 cab 11 truck there it looks like a very good start for restoration congratulations :-).

To be able to identify the truck as either a C30 or C60S a little more information may help people decide for example are spring helpers (secondary springs) attached to the rear axle ? what size tires are fitted are they original ? the frame number and type code was stamped onto a small data plate attached to the engine cover inside the cab do you have this ?

Good luck with your restoration

regards

Pete

Welcome to HMVF. Your English is much better than my French. I have the same problem in reverse with two Simca Marmon MH600BS SUMB trucks to restore - there are never enough parts over here and I must learn more French in order to understand the MATs !

Regards

Iain

I understand what do you mean i have one Marmon also it is a workshop truck

SDC11831.jpg but he is in bad condition i have the MAT 2844 in PDF if you want

Jean-Baptiste

Thank You! I still need MAT2844 - I have MATs 2719, 2347, 6042 and 4155 so far.

One thing I always wanted to ask was the purpose of the black bags often attached to the vehicle ?

Best Regards

Iain Moffat

Jean-Baptiste

Thank You! I still need MAT2844 - I have MATs 2719, 2347, 6042 and 4155 so far.

One thing I always wanted to ask was the purpose of the black bags often attached to the vehicle ?

Best Regards

Iain Moffat

The purpose of the bag is for camouflage net for ceiling vehicle

Jean

from the build tag in your photos the truck is as Neils suggests a C30. From left to right the numbers mean the following

1= year of manufacture

8= CMP military pattern design

4= number of wheels

4= number of wheels supplied with power

1= code for C30cwt

0= spare space

the next 4 numbers= the number of trucks of this type in your case 30cwt CMP design built

So your truck appears to be a late 11 cab C30 produced in the first two months of 1941 just before 12 cab production came on line.

I am guessing that the windscreen is fixed (not opening) the seat backs are non folding and the the wooden blocks that the seats sit on are about 2.5 to 3 cm deep and the angle iron behind the seats (where the cab roof and the cab back meet is not cut back to give extra room for the seats to move back on the runners if this is the case they all point to standard production 11 cab features.

Nice truck, I'm sure we would all like to see more photos and to follow the restoration when you start in a blog on the restoration forum.

regards

Pete

• 1 month later...
from the build tag in your photos the truck is as Neils suggests a C30. From left to right the numbers mean the following

1= year of manufacture

8= CMP military pattern design

4= number of wheels

4= number of wheels supplied with power

1= code for C30cwt

0= spare space

the next 4 numbers= the number of trucks of this type in your case 30cwt CMP design built

So your truck appears to be a late 11 cab C30 produced in the first two months of 1941 just before 12 cab production came on line.

Jean,

Further to what Pete wrote, the "X2" means for export to the UK, as per the table in Wheels & Tracks issue No. 37 (October 1991): "CMP Assembly Overseas - Re-assembly of knocked-down Canadian Military Pattern vehicles".

GM Canada export designations.jpg

Also, the lower plate in one of your photos is a rebuild plate. Often these have a post-war date, but your C30 seems to have been rebuilt on 20-Jan-45 if I read it correctly. By that time it was four years old and apparently had seen enough service to warrant a rebuild.

If you post a better picture of this plate there may be someone on this forum who can identify the workshop where it was rebuilt.

Hope this helps,

Hanno

Photo0020.jpg