WW1 Liberty truck - upgraded

Richard Farrant

This Liberty truck was apparently converted to pneumatic tyres and spider wheels in 1920's and served with the US Marines up until 1933. How it came to be found in New South Wales, Australia is not known, but the current owner bought it with the crane on and with a Perkins R6 diesel fitted. It is in full working order including crane and recently repainted for a show.

You can see the ballast weights across the front! I had walked mast this once with out realising what its heritages was.

Thanks Richard

How very interesting. I thought it would have been a Willeme conversion, but judging by its history obviously not. Thanks.

Hi Tim,

A possibility I suppose, not sure where the info came from regarding past history. As to how it got to Australia is another mystery.

regards Richard

This photo illustrates the diversity of the trucks history. It has been modified to suit differing job requirements. In more recent years this would be called upgrading. It is just as important to record these changes as it is to have vehicles as they left the factory.

Doug

The truck in question I was looking at carefully the other day and I know the owner well.

For its crane roll a strengthening frame of greater size than the original chassis is laid on top of the chassis.

The front axle, chassis and cabin is original, I don't know about the steering box etc.

The drive train and gearbox is not original and the differential is most like not original too.

It is still useful as a yard crane.

heavy plate and steel blocks are fitted to the extreme front of the vehicle to act as a counterweight for the crane.

The whole thing reminds me of the many crane conversions done here in Australia to WW2 Blitz CMP trucks in there civie life usually done by locally by the owners .

Two large winches are fitted to the sub frame on top of the standard chassis and the crane jib can be extended out a very long way.

The conversion was very well done and built very strongly.

The truck was found in a Sydney Australia outer suburb ,most likely still sort of working when found.

Edited by 101 Ron

• 8 years later...

Sorry to raise this late, but this is not a WWI Standard B "Liberty" truck. It would have U.S.A. in raised letters on the radiator, not LIBERTY which was a follow-on independent manufacturer of non-military trucks following WWI.

Again, looking at the radiator shell is the givaway, no one would have restored a Standard B by recasting a radiator with LIBERTY on it.

V/R W Winget USA

(Type I owner and collector of all 1918 Standard B "Liberty" truck Info one can find)

• Like 1