Seattle tour DUKW in fatal crash as axle fails

Nick Johns

Seattle tour DUKW company Ride the Ducks is suspended from operating after a DUKW front wheel locks up on a six lane highway causing it to lose control and crash into an oncoming bus killing 5 passengers, possibly linked to a front axle problem identified two years before and operators were advised to carry out modifications

http://www.columbian.com/news/2015/sep/28/amphibious-tour-vehicle-lacked-axle-fix-before-seattle-crash/

Edited by Nick Johns

Is this a "real" DUKW or one of the look-a-like modern ones that are made for tourism?

Apparently its a "Stretched DUKW", a rebuilt longer wheelbase version, though modified it appears to still basically use the ww2 GMC front axle, the stretch appears to have probably put higher loadings on to the front axle, the problem had been identified 2 years ago and front axle strengthening modifications were advised but apparently the work was not carried out, looking at all the pics online I'm guessing its the swivel housing that fails

Edited by Nick Johns

We went on one of those a couple of years ago in Seattle, there was nothing WW2 about any of the ones I saw all were 'replicas' but all the info inside implied they where genuine WW2 vehicles, I remember thinking that was a little bit naughty at the time.

I would doubt any claims of authenticity regarding these vehicles, even in a newspaper......

We went on one of those a couple of years ago in Seattle, there was nothing WW2 about any of the ones I saw all were 'replicas' but all the info inside implied they where genuine WW2 vehicles, I remember thinking that was a little bit naughty at the time.

I would doubt any claims of authenticity regarding these vehicles, even in a newspaper......

I've been on the ones in Singapore, still have bullet holes in them which the crew point out with pride!!

sad and unusual to see and accident with one of these on land, doesn't seem like a vehicle that belongs on a freeway going 60pmh anyway?

last 2 times there was accident with one of these in Arkansas it sank in seconds and 11 people drowned, another stalled on a river and was hit by a barge, 2 people drowned.

I have had the opportunity to ride on these on several occasions and have declined. Wouldn't put my kids in them either. I just don't like the idea of riding on one which has been operated on a commercial basis. If it was a green one and owned by someone I knew then that might be different.

A number of DUKW's , modified and unmodified operated safley in Jersey for years. They would count as the first Military Vehicle I ever rode in. They were used to ferry passengers from West Park Slip out to Elizebeth castle about a quater mile. At low tide the Islet is dry so the route was rough rocks, when the tide as in it was a water crossing.

400px-Del15DUKW.jpg

The first ones that I saw operating commercially were off Marazion after HMS Warspite went aground in a storm near St Michael's Mount in Cornwall, when the ship was being towed to the Breakers after the war. She had broken away from her Tugs. As far as I can recall, there were two DUKWs and they were being used by the Breakers as Warspite could not be moved and had eventually to be broken up where she went aground.

Later, there were two giving pleasure rides off Gyllyngvase Beach, Falmouth for two or three years - 2/6d a ride, I think. I always assumed that they were the same two that had been at Marazion after their work there had been completed but I am not sure that is certain.

Tony