Saracen front armour removal advice needed

trophy160

I need to remove the radiator armour, I've removed all the bolts and it is free to move but it needs to move upwards about and inch or so to clear the bottom 'frame' part of the grill. The problem is that when I lift it, one of the captive nuts fouls with what I think is the radiator/fans mounting frame. Am I correct in saying this, does it mean that I need to remove the rad assembly or a least move it upwards before I can remove the armour? Why is nothing ever simple on a saracen?

I need to remove the radiator armour, I've removed all the bolts and it is free to move but it needs to move upwards about and inch or so to clear the bottom 'frame' part of the grill. The problem is that when I lift it, one of the captive nuts fouls with what I think is the radiator/fans mounting frame. Am I correct in saying this, does it mean that I need to remove the rad assembly or a least move it upwards before I can remove the armour? Why is nothing ever simple on a saracen?

Hi Nic,

It should lift straight off. You cannot remove the radiator before the front armour, nor do you have to disturb it.

Hi Richard, well I must admit I thought it seemed odd but I seem unable to lift it up the inch or so that I need to. Is there a trick to getting it clear of the body?

Nic,

I recall we used to pull the top forward slightly, to bolt a lifting bracket through the two holes at the top which are used to attached the centre support bar for engine covers. Have you tried pulling it out slightly? Assume you have the bottom plate off.

Hi You do not need to remove any of the interior parts before lifting the front armour panel away. If you have removed the front lower panel, upper engine covers, central support strap and all bolts, it should lift away. Are you using at least an engine crane. It is very heavy?

Hi You do not need to remove any of the interior parts before lifting the front armour panel away. If you have removed the front lower panel, upper engine covers, central support strap and all bolts, it should lift away. Are you using at least an engine crane. It is very heavy?

Hi, yes preparation done as you describe and I'm also using an engine hoist. I'll have another go today and if I still see the problem will try to photograph what I mean. Hopefully it was just me being over cautious