Introduction

johnm

From one DT owner to another, fit a diesel you maybe able to live with the fuel consumption more easily !!! Its nearly as easy to fit a Cummins or similar if the engine has to come out anyway. Or get a NOS engine from the US they are around apparently, somebody on here will have contacts.

Hi and welcome,

Which Diamond T do you have and whereabouts in the country are you? There is an active Diamond T group on facebook if you are on there. There are a couple of parts suppliers around so depending on which engine it is a replacement should be available.

Cheers

Ed

Hi and welcome,

Which Diamond T do you have and whereabouts in the country are you? There is an active Diamond T group on facebook if you are on there. There are a couple of parts suppliers around so depending on which engine it is a replacement should be available.

Cheers

Ed

Hello Edd mine is a 980/hercules diesel and im out the forest of dean ,thanks for the facebook tip ill have a look!

Hello John,

Not too far away from me. If you need to look at Diamond T 980 for any reference or help then our friend Adrian has a desert coloured 980 that lives in Stonehouse. Was your Diamond T at Speech House last weekend?

Cheers

Ed

Hello John,

Not too far away from me. If you need to look at Diamond T 980 for any reference or help then our friend Adrian has a desert coloured 980 that lives in Stonehouse. Was your Diamond T at Speech House last weekend?

Cheers

Ed

Hello edd

where abouts are you?. and yes that was my diamond t at speech house.did you go? i drove it there from about 3 miles away lovelly job as this was my first outing, then half way home it started to knock,still with oil pressure! and had to be towed home by a tractor. at some point i would mind going fora visit to stonehouse

cheers john

Hello John,

I'm based in Hucclecote, although vehicles are a bit scattered. Unipower lives in Stonehouse with the Diamond T and the Scammell's live near Bristol. We popped over to Speech House without exhibits for a visit. Superb show and spent a happy few mins looking over your Diamond T. Looks like a very good project. Unusual in that it looks like it was rebuilt in 1955 but kept it's Hercules. We did think it probably hadn't come too far. What are your plans for it?

Shame about the knock. The fact it's still got oil pressure might mean it's a little end or similar. When ever you are free drop me a line and I can arrange with Adrian to visit the T. Although I think Adrian will probably be in touch with you directly soon. He's always keen to speak to another local Diamond T owner.

Cheers

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John,

Sorry I have only just picked up on your thread. Firstly welcome to HMVF, you will find this a friendly forum full of folk who are willing to offer advice.

Sorry to hear your Crankshaft has given up. Unfortunately it is not an uncommon event on a Hercules as they were never the best engines for reliability. I'm not sure if you have had chance to pull the motor out yet to take a look (although you can just drop the sump off with the engine in-situ to have an exploratory). Two reasons why the DFXE crank can fail is the miss-drilling of the oil galleries in the factory and, if your engine is a REME rebuild and the crank was re-ground the radii on the journals was insufficient leading to high stresses leading to the inevitable two piece crank :(.

There are replacement crankshaft available. Look at some of the dealers on Milweb. I am sure there is at least one who was offering NOS shafts.

As Edd said we have some of our vehicles in Stonehouse but they are moving to Cam at the end of the month as we have lost our storage (but gained a lovely new barn :-D).

Happy to meet up at some time to offer help/commiseration/tea and biscuits.

Cheers,

Ade.