#19 wireless set in WW2 Jeeps

Eric

Hello

I am looking for any information pertaining to the installation of the #19 wireless set in the WW2 era Jeep. I have seen plans for an elaborate system with special frames and a post war version for the High Power.

I am looking for a more simpler installation.

I am also looking for photos or plans for the antennae mount which was shaped like a Z and was attached under the spare fuel carrier.

Thanks

Eric

I have some installation notes on 19 sets in Jeeps. They may take a while to find, and I can Email copies of them to you if you can give me your Email address. It does show aerial mountings.

There is also a booklet showing a 62 set in a Jeep, but this seems to be very late, in 1945 as the set was not in common use until early 1945.

I don't understand the 'Fuel Can' mentioned. All British vehicles carried a Water can, not fuel. The can should be green or brown and have a white + painted on it, to distinguish it from fuel. If you look at IWM photo B14289 this shows water cans being filled in 1944.

Robert Davey

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Robert

Whatever you have would be appreciated. My e-mail is cmpmagazine@hotmail.com. I am also the editor of the Ontario Military Vehicle Association's magazine. ( Canada)

The fuel can was mounted on the rear left of the jeep and was interchangable with the standard water can with the wide mouth as well.

Also know as the Jerry can or the Ameri can.

Thanks

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Look in Therouex's books 'Wireless for the Warriors' that will give you a full layout. 19 base boards are wooden, helps with various earth and faradic problems. There is a good illustration in the book so you could make one. I have mounted mine in a made to measure cage to make it 'portable'.

Hello Tony and Robert

I have seen Wireless for the warrior, however the #19 set attachments are not what i was looking for . I have had some assistance from Chris at whiskytown wireless who is also involved with the #19 set web but unfortunately he has limited info on Jeep installations as well.

Robert your info sounds very interesting. Don't think i have that one.

I am at cmpmagazine@hotmail.com.

Just in case anybody is interested.

I know there is a Car 5 cwt #19 high power installation manual dated 1950's in the Royal Signals Museum. They will make copies for a fee.

Thanks

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Robert

I have received the data that you have sent me. :-)

Unfortunetly i already have this info but i was mssing the front page, so not a complete waste of time on your part. I appreciate you taking the time and sending the info. It actually is a better copy than i have as well.

I have seen a version of this on a jeep a while back on an unknown web page and have been trying to track it down. I know that it is in the Netherlands. It would be interesting to see it complete. The Canadian War Museum will be setting up a Jeep with the same set up sometime in the future.

Thanks again.

Eric

• 1 year later...
  • 11 years later...