chevrolet c60l

eggsc8

Hi Everyone , I have recently purchased a 1945 c60l chev , I have not driven it very much yet but when i have driven it it seems to go well enough in first gear also in second gear third is not too bad but fourth gear seems to be too high , The lorry seems to struggle to achieve fourty miles per hour , I would like to hear from anyone else who owns one of these lorrys so i can compare the performance , I am currently the owner of the Chevrolet c60l and a 1944 Morris Commercial C8 GS and a replica of Montgomerys Office Caravan , Paul.

Hi Everyone , I have recently purchased a 1945 c60l chev , I have not driven it very much yet but when i have driven it it seems to go well enough in first gear also in second gear third is not too bad but fourth gear seems to be too high , The lorry seems to struggle to achieve fourty miles per hour , I would like to hear from anyone else who owns one of these lorrys so i can compare the performance , I am currently the owner of the Chevrolet c60l and a 1944 Morris Commercial C8 GS and a replica of Montgomerys Office Caravan , Paul.

Hello Paul

I take it you have the original 216 engine and Carter WO carb fitted? what size tyres are you running 1050 16 or something bigger? The C60L will be nearing top speed at 40mph the rated maximum speed in 4th high is 47mph but 30 to 35mph is much more comfortable and sustainable for all concerned

Pete

Hi Paul

Welcome to the wonderful world of CMPs. To your question about what speed is a 1945 C60L comfortable with, first question is what rims and tires are you running? I drove my Patter 13 C60S radio truck for years with the stock 216 engine, we would kid that it would do 0-60 MPH in 12 minutes on flat ground. That was running the truck with 20" rims and 11:00 tires which is a slight rubber overdrive so that when the truck is reading 50 MPH it is closer to 60 MPH ground speed. I have some video links on my web site showing the truck from the drivers view. Few years ago I reengined the truck with 261 Chevy and the truck will now very comfortably hold ground speed 60 MPH and can clime 9%grade in third gear dropping to 30 MPH.

Having said that I have also discovered that not all CMPs are happy to be driven above 40 MPH they just really start to feel very busy and vibrating. As Peter points out 40 MPH is the comfortable speed for driver and truck. Of my 3 CMPs only one is a really comfortable road machine where you can drive it 250 miles in a day and not be totally worn out at the end of the day and turn around and do it again the next day. (That's driver worn out.)

When running in Convoy our club generally puts the slowest vehicle in the lead, and before I up engined my C60S which weights 10,500 with the radio box as drag was often the slowest. I have lead convoys on the interstate were I shifted through all 4 gears on the on ramp and then never took my foot off the floor several hours, never faster than 60 MPH never slower 30 MPH.

There is another issue of fuel C60L they are thursty beast. Also there does seem a problem with the modern gas in US that it burns a lot hotter and thus cause problems with manifolds and valves. If a 216 engine exhaust valve clearance gets to "0" you can burn a valve in 50 miles this is particularly a problem with the bigger CMPs which tend to be driven full throttle or foot off the gas. While because the smaller CMPs are not driven this hard there is not the same problem.

Cheers Phil

Hi ,usually a C60 should be able to run easy in 4th gear , problem most likely is , that your distributor is set for petrol from when the truck was build . For modern petrol keep advancing it till you hear a slight pinging noise in the manifold(when accellerating) , than back it just of so that the noise diasapears . most likely you have a lot more power then .

Hello Paul

I take it you have the original 216 engine and Carter WO carb fitted? what size tyres are you running 1050 16 or something bigger? The C60L will be nearing top speed at 40mph the rated maximum speed in 4th high is 47mph but 30 to 35mph is much more comfortable and sustainable for all concerned

Pete

Hi Pete , It has got the 216 engine with the Carter Carb but the tyres i have on the back are 11.00 20s it should have 10.50s but i could not find any , Do you think that would make a lot of difference, Paul

Hello Paul

Pete

Hi Pete , Thanks for replying , I am running 11.00 on 20" rims on the rear and 10.50s on the front the engine is the original 216 would that make a big difference , Paul.

Hi Paul

Welcome to the wonderful world of CMPs. To your question about what speed is a 1945 C60L comfortable with, first question is what rims and tires are you running? I drove my Patter 13 C60S radio truck for years with the stock 216 engine, we would kid that it would do 0-60 MPH in 12 minutes on flat ground. That was running the truck with 20" rims and 11:00 tires which is a slight rubber overdrive so that when the truck is reading 50 MPH it is closer to 60 MPH ground speed. I have some video links on my web site showing the truck from the drivers view. Few years ago I reengined the truck with 261 Chevy and the truck will now very comfortably hold ground speed 60 MPH and can clime 9%grade in third gear dropping to 30 MPH.

Having said that I have also discovered that not all CMPs are happy to be driven above 40 MPH they just really start to feel very busy and vibrating. As Peter points out 40 MPH is the comfortable speed for driver and truck. Of my 3 CMPs only one is a really comfortable road machine where you can drive it 250 miles in a day and not be totally worn out at the end of the day and turn around and do it again the next day. (That's driver worn out.)

When running in Convoy our club generally puts the slowest vehicle in the lead, and before I up engined my C60S which weights 10,500 with the radio box as drag was often the slowest. I have lead convoys on the interstate were I shifted through all 4 gears on the on ramp and then never took my foot off the floor several hours, never faster than 60 MPH never slower 30 MPH.

There is another issue of fuel C60L they are thursty beast. Also there does seem a problem with the modern gas in US that it burns a lot hotter and thus cause problems with manifolds and valves. If a 216 engine exhaust valve clearance gets to "0" you can burn a valve in 50 miles this is particularly a problem with the bigger CMPs which tend to be driven full throttle or foot off the gas. While because the smaller CMPs are not driven this hard there is not the same problem.

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil . Thanks for getting back to me , You seem to have a lot of experience of the CMP lorrys , What spark plugs did you run in the 216 engine , On the fuel issue i think i will add lead substitute to the fuel , Paul.

Having re read your first post I'm not sure if you have a problem in 4th with not enough torque range or whether you are concerned because you think that the overall top speed is low?

I would recommend you fit tyres/rims of the same size all round you will not be doing your drive line any favors running as you currently are.

Regarding plugs and fuel which I assume is a separate issue to your speed question I have run with AC44's and Champion J8's both sets gave good service in the 216 engine, your right to use additive in your fuel unless you have hardened valve seats fitted.

Pete

Hi Pete , The top speed is not a problem as i run the Morris Commercial C8 so 40 mph is positively flying but it just seems to die a bit when you go from third to fourth, On the spark plugs you and Phil seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet I think the biggest thing to get your head round is the centre throttle pedal , Paul

Hi Pete , The top speed is not a problem as i run the Morris Commercial C8 so 40 mph is positively flying but it just seems to die a bit when you go from third to fourth, On the spark plugs you and Phil seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet I think the biggest thing to get your head round is the centre throttle pedal , Paul

Right got it now :blush:, yes your larger wheels will have an effect as you are very slightly gearing up at the wheel rim, the solution is to run up a bit harder in 3rd than you would normally. This is something that is sometimes missed when people fit larger tyres/wheels to up the top speed a little the drive line (gear box, transfer case and diff ratios) are then not matched to the new rolling radius at the axel. Within reason it's not a problem but you may well need to change the driving style particularly on the heavier trucks to compensate.

Pete

Strange that you should mention the gas peddle, one thing that you might want to check is when the peddle is all the way down is the throttle plate really all the way open? On my Pat 12 C60L after restoration that actually was a problem peddle all the way down was something less than fully opened throttle plate. Only real check is with the engine off have someone hold the throttle down while you are looking down the throat to see that the plate is really all the way open. On the other side of that coin you also have to check that the carb body is not having to act as the throttle stop because you can bend something if it is.

Cheers Phil