Dodge WC52 fuel pump

I've been having an intermittent fuel pump problem over the last several years and am now thinking of fitting an electric fuel pump. Not knowing a lot about electric pumps can anybody advise a make and model to fit a Dodge WC52.

The mechanical pump failed recently the first time in 18 months of use. But getting fed up with trying to figure out what is wrong. Thought about vapour lock but not so sure.

thanks for any advise

I've been having an intermittent fuel pump problem over the last several years and am now thinking of fitting an electric fuel pump. Not knowing a lot about electric pumps can anybody advise a make and model to fit a Dodge WC52.

The mechanical pump failed recently the first time in 18 months of use. But getting fed up with trying to figure out what is wrong. Thought about vapour lock but not so sure.

thanks for any advise

Are you sure its the fuel pump, if so what symptoms are you getting.

I think we have all had vapour lock at some time, but thats not always the fuel pump.

Fuel pumps are easy to repair normally.

I bought a new fuel pump for my Dodge WC52 off the internet and it never failed why not just buy a new one IF indeed yours is faulty ? Make sure though you get an ethanol resistant diaphragm though. That way you keep things original and it's much easier if you are running six volts anyway.

I have seen this time after time, and it is seldom, if ever, the fuel pump unless it has a diaphragm sensitive to ethanol still in it.

Typically the fuel hoses will be dissolving internally ( ethanol again ) or the fuel filter will be full of crap. Buy a new fuel pump, new fuel hoses, and a complete spare firewall filter to rebuild and drop in and just do it once - properly. :angel:

If you can find one a six-valve pancake pump is better than the early two valve unit, but the two-valve is easier to find a diaphragm for.

I have seen this time after time, and it is seldom, if ever, the fuel pump unless it has a diaphragm sensitive to ethanol still in it.

Typically the fuel hoses will be dissolving internally ( ethanol again ) or the fuel filter will be full of crap. Buy a new fuel pump, new fuel hoses, and a complete spare firewall filter to rebuild and drop in and just do it once - properly. :angel:

If you can find one a six-valve pancake pump is better than the early two valve unit, but the two-valve is easier to find a diaphragm for.

Thanks for all your replys The Dodge is 12 volts. The original pump is a 6 valve one and I have replaced the fuel line. I carried out a pressure test on the pump and it showed about 5psi. It broke down on the way to Damyns Farm. Got a towed by a chap from Felixstowe. (big thank you to him). stripped the pump cant see any fault. refitted it. got it going. Drove to outside of showground broke down again. Called RAC . We got it going again and he followed me 10 milesto home, no problem. So that is why I thought of an electric pump

Take your line at the carb off, and let it run into a container. If your getting gas, it's not the pump. I have had a carb where the float valve would stick. I could get out and tap the carb on the top, and it would start working again.

If you are getting gas out the line, replace the float valve, or rebuild the carb, with ethanol safe parts.

One thing I failed to mention before was, a couple of times in the past my WC52 suffered from a similar problem, I simply slackened the union at the carb and bled the system via the primer on the fuel pump once fuel was squirting out I nipped up the union and the truck fired up straight away. It was such an easy job and so rarely happened I never bothered to find the cause to be honest.

If you are keen on an electric pump try one from Facet, an American company, recommended to me by TooTallMike. I googled it and found a fuel pump supplier in Bristol who have loads of options, mail order a couple of days. They do a low PSI one specifically for classic vehicles.

Its a cube shaped pump which is all electronic. I ordered one in a kit with a screw in filter and rubber mountings and fitted it to my GMC (12 Volt), I bypassed the mechanical pump and fitted the electric pump near the tank with a feed to the ignition and a separate switch to act as a security device. The results were well worth the effort, no more pumping the fuel up after its not been started for a few weeks, no vapour lock (I've tried hard in over 25 degree heat and a very hot engine).

Of course its not original but its hidden, the modern fuels today are not good for old vehicles rotting diaphragms away so it won't fill my sump full of fuel when the pump fails !! :cheesy: