Good quality jeep parts ...

jenkinov

I have owned my jeep for 12 years and try to carry a sensible collection of spares on the vehicle ..plugs.contacts.distributors head.contacts etc...This year however the jeep has had a Goodyear for reliability and on review a big factor is poor quality parts....my stock.pile of spares is with a critical eye mostly crap...

The morale is therefore cheap.parts are not always good but sometimes.items I have paid top dollar for are little better.the issue is most parts are bought over the post.internet and you don't know the quality until they arrive...

I wanted to propose a thread where we could highlight really really good parts...

So as someone who needs 2 of everything ...any shout outs

My wants list

Ignition leads

Distributor cap..that fit

Condenser...that last

Plug caps

Plugs

6v coils

Fuel filter...copper

But keen to get any the heads up on any top end spares

Jenkinov

I think the key to your problem is find a dealer that you trust.

I go to plenty of shows and look what dealers have on there stall.

I have found that the ones with a few NOS parts tend to supply the better quality rero parts too.

It also comes down to cost, I now use the same dealer MOST of the time (only going elsewhere if I'm desperate) they are not known as the cheapest, BUT the price they quote includes vat and I have always been happy with what they have supplied.

They will always help over the phone, open up early or wait till later if you need a part.

First class old fashioned service.

Jenkiov is right, there are many cheep parts out there, be carful poor quality rotor arms, condensers and other ignition parts are typical.

not MV related, but I recently learned a lesson with our Triumph Herald, try finding a NOS or 'good' quality Lucas Voltage regulator.............hundreds on ebay but all poor Indian copies, all stating to be Lucas 'type' but of very poor quality and lasted bearly a year.

try and by NOS if you can, but as gas44 said, find a good dealer that you can trust, and stick with them, at least for 'mechanical' parts.

I'm happy to shop around for cosmetic body parts, but anything mechanical for the jeep I head to the 'Home of the Dig out'

Jules

I think that the big problem with vehicle spares is the suppliers themselves. I have seen poor quality parts from

more than one of the big suppliers. When they are challenged about them, the stock responses are:

No one else has complained.

Send it back at your expense, when we find there is nothing wrong with the item we will send it back to you

and charge postage.

It must be the part that you are fitting it to, is no good.

It is something that you have done.

A big gripe I have at the moment is that brake line and fuel line flares will not seal in the brass elbows.

The advise is to use Loctite sealer, a big no no for me. (This has happened to two friends who are renovating jeeps.)

The parts suppliers should be kicking the firms that are supplying them with poor quality items. This is the only way that things can improve.

I think that the big problem with vehicle spares is the suppliers themselves. I have seen poor quality parts from

more than one of the big suppliers. When they are challenged about them, the stock responses are:

No one else has complained.

Send it back at your expense, when we find there is nothing wrong with the item we will send it back to you

and charge postage.

It must be the part that you are fitting it to, is no good.

It is something that you have done.

A big gripe I have at the moment is that brake line and fuel line flares will not seal in the brass elbows.

The advise is to use Loctite sealer, a big no no for me. (This has happened to two friends who are renovating jeeps.)

The parts suppliers should be kicking the firms that are supplying them with poor quality items. This is the only way that things can improve.

Your not too far off the mark for the whole of the automotive industry in this country,I all ways feel like I am being bent over the barrel (so to speak) every time I visit a garage.