Assembly of Leaf Springs

thedawnpatrol

Question

Having stripped my rear MCC PU springs I have 'lightly' blasted them, so as not to destroy their tension.

Now, on re assembly, do I prime all round and put together dry, or Prime, grease and put together or put together bare of paint but just grease ?

what's the correct way ? also if I grease them the top coat of O/D won't hold........................

cheers

Jules

8 answers to this question

Having stripped my rear MCC PU springs I have 'lightly' blasted them, so as not to destroy their tension.

Now, on re assembly, do I prime all round and put together dry, or Prime, grease and put together or put together bare of paint but just grease ?

what's the correct way ? also if I grease them the top coat of O/D won't hold........................

cheers

Jules

Don't grease them I know some do but I was always told it can attract grit and dirt which will accelerate ware. As for painting from the factory they are not painted between the leaves just the out side faces. If you think you need to I'd suggest just a light undercoat of red oxide only then assemble when fully dry.

Pete

cheers

Jules

prime paint od, grease between the leaves then reassemble

You may find other forums (I searched "grease car leaf spring" on this topic interesting e.g.

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6812&whichpage=1 (especially the use of UHMW tape)

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/allmorgan27.htm

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Leaf_suspension.htm

Does the manual speciffically say 'Grease'? If not I'd avoid using any. This is another do you or don't you argument. The only place it could really be useful is in the pins or bolts through the bushes or on the outside of the bushes themselves, a very light coat of copper grease or anti size compound. To much can make them a right sod to fit in the first place.

Regards greasing leaf springs ?.......some of you are saying 'don't grease' ? ....

......Many years ago in amongst the colossal number of tools in my old Dads workshop was a special tool to go on his air operated grease gun to enable you to squirt grease in between the leaves of a spring ? It screwed on in place of either of the 2 'normal' fittings ( the typical 'nipple' type and also the 'hex' type) and it looked like a very wide flat screwdriver blade....with a split across the end of it .....as I recall it was made of very hard steel and you could ram it in between the leaves to squirt the grease in :) I'm pretty sure it wasn't something he'd made either........... :)

so what I'm saying is somebody , somewhere ....obviously thought it a good idea to grease them ?

Regards greasing leaf springs ?.......some of you are saying 'don't grease' ? ....

......Many years ago in amongst the colossal number of tools in my old Dads workshop was a special tool to go on his air operated grease gun to enable you to squirt grease in between the leaves of a spring ? It screwed on in place of either of the 2 'normal' fittings ( the typical 'nipple' type and also the 'hex' type) and it looked like a very wide flat screwdriver blade....with a split across the end of it .....as I recall it was made of very hard steel and you could ram it in between the leaves to squirt the grease in :) I'm pretty sure it wasn't something he'd made either........... :)

so what I'm saying is somebody , somewhere ....obviously thought it a good idea to grease them ?

I once bought a ex-WD tool made by Terrys Springs, like a small g-clamp but had chisel ends on screw, end of screw had a nipple to fit grease gun to and grease came out of a hole in the "chisel" end.