Dulling down paint

Skint George

Hi, Does anyone know how to dull down gloss paint?

I've just got some Olive"drab" at a really good price but it is very glossy and I want the matt effect.

Any ideas? :dunno:

George,

Are you brush painting the new paint? If you spray it, depending on how much thinners, etc. it may come out more to your liking. What does it describe the finish as on the tin? Matt, semi-matt, eggshell, gloss?

Hi Rick & Richard.

Thanks for replying.

I've hand painted the jeep handles days ago and they are VERY glossy.

The paint I used has a M.O.D. number and description.

Here it is:- Paint finishing - Exterior Jerricans - Olive Drab.

MOD contract number H1/8010/99224/5479

Hi Rick & Richard.

Thanks for replying.

I've hand painted the jeep handles days ago and they are VERY glossy.

The paint I used has a M.O.D. number and description.

Here it is:- Paint finishing - Exterior Jerricans - Olive Drab.

George,

I had some of that jerrican paint and it was glossy, so not much you can do unless you can get hold of Matting Agent from a paint supplier. Probably easier to get another tin of paint.

George

If you look on this this thread you will see I have been wrestling with a similar problem:

http://historicmilitaryvehicles.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&topic=3774.0

Well if you type in "calcium carbonate powder" in ebay you may find some as I did, but you may be a bit surprised to see that it is major component of a hair removing product which I will not detail here, you will find some of the adverts show before & after pics, which seems a little unnecessary.

Anyway I have mixed my paint & got a good colour. But I regret trying to spray it. The pressure changes influence how the powder is dispersed & there is a tendency at the start of spray for it to be satin/glossy whereas when on a sweep after a few seconds it dries to matt. Sometimes the particles seem to conglomerate & the finish is rough & bumpy. I think a roller would have been better for me.

But don't use French chalk, that is just talc & will just make the paint thicker.

I will look up the NSN of your paint tomorrow when I can get to my database.

Thanks Clive.

My god, that thread sobered me up !

I'll read it again tomorrow when my head's clear.

Steve Carr (Jessie the jeep) first told me about matting agents, and I talked to someone at 'International Paints' who said no matting agents were available (guess I talked to the wrong guy). I then asked another person at 'Tor coatings' (Hammerite makers), but they wouldn't sell it to me.

I'll start looking further afield.

Looking forward to what you can find out.

Thanks,

George

George, that isn't actually the contract number, it is the part number.

H1 is the Domestic Management Code for Paints, Dopes & Varnishes

8010/99224/5479 is the NSN (NATO Stock Number)

Anyway the db isn't a great help but looked it up in a paper COSA & it lists it as a petrol resisting paint, which seems appropriate given its use on jerricans. I don't know, but there may be issues that complicate the use of thinners, at least the mechanical approach with calcium carbonate powder would get round that.

Thanks Clive. I'll check out availability of the Calcium Carbonate. I might have to bite the bullet and just buy some new paint.

Message for John Wheatley. John, the paint came from a 'friend of a friend' in York. I believe the lad has a pallet full that he bought from a disposal sale. The tins were very rusty and unstable.

Re matting agent, paint suppliers Morelli and Movac, both national companies will stock it, howevr both have a reluctance to supply outside trade arrangements, try asking you local friendly garage owner/accident repair chap if they might get hold of it for you :dunno:

Hi George

I tried painting my hotchkiss with MOD paint I was given, after two coats I gave up because it was apparently anti infra red and was really weird like it dried to a dusty finish. After advice on here I gave up and bought some new paint from RR motors which goes on a treat with a roller. It might be easier to bite the bullet (wallet) and buy new.

regards

Centurion

Thanks for that info Tugger. Hello again Dick.

A mate is meeting with a Crown paints Rep tomorrow so he might have some info for me. I'll let you know if he can be any help.

I'm going to try something Steve Carr and I discussed the other night.

I'll paint a bit, then when it is starting to go "off", I'll go over it with a semi dry roller.

I know when I've put a finger on a wet gloss door, that part loses it's gloss.

Worth a try at least ! :?

Good luck with that George.

I see elsewhere that your looking for a Malt plate. Have you found one yet? If its the glove box one I dont have a spare but the original on mine is plain aluminium sheet with the details stamped on so you could probably make a replica with the appropriate details on. Ive moved e-mail addresses and I cant seem to be able to get into yours. If your interested PM me and i will take some pics of it which may help.

regards

Centurion

Thanks Rambo1969, another option for me :-)

Update on the Crown paint Rep. He checked it out with a couple of paint manufacturers and the word back is ....IT DOESN'T EXIST! The word back to me is that anyone that could invent it, would make a fortune as anyone could change the finish to suit themselves and paint makers could lose a fortune !! Maybe Crown and International don't know about it :dunno: :whistle: I'll go with Tugger (not in the biblical sense) :whistle:

Anyway, today I painted two sample strips, 1 that I rolled over with a dry roller after it started to go off and the other with talc added.

The "roll over" didn't look too good but the Talc version did!

I had to use a lot of talc to a pint of paint to get the effect and it was quick drying!

What talc to paint ratio would you lot use?

When I used Talc (=French Chalk, hydrated magnesium silicate) it didn't seem to alter the finish much, but made the paint thicker. As talc is largely used for absorbing perspiration, I assumed it was getting absorbed in the paint.

I used powdered chalk (calcium carbonate) & got a matt effect. If you do a search you will see it is used in paint manufacture to produce a matt effect. But hydrated magnesium silicate is not listed as used in paint manufacture. To get significant matt effect I think I used about 500gm in 10litres. But of the four paints I was mixing two were high gloss & two were matt already.

I don't think "paint manufacturers would lose a fortune" as when I inquired about matting agents from a paint supplier it was much more expensive than paint & I was advised I would need to have about 25% matting agent to have a useful effect.

My only regret was spraying it, as sometimes it clogged & sometimes the particles aggregated to form a very rough surface. Although most of it was smooth & matt, I would have been better off using a roller I think.