Correct oils for WW2 vehicles

Ian L

I'm planning to change the oils in my Austin K5 & Morris C8 but not sure what to use ?

I've been told that you must stay clear of modern oils with Sulphur in ? because of the bronze parts in the old gear boxes & diffs ? what grades and makes should I use ? Thanks Ian

Austin K5

Diffs :

Gearbox:

Transfer box:

Front hubs:

Oil debates can get long and winding. But I keep it simple in my collection by using Morris's SAE 30 in my vehicles and Morris's SAE 40 in my motorcycles. Gearboxes are according the the manufactures lube charts. I know that EP (Extreme Pressure) gear oils have additives that can be harmful to bronze bushings. Ron

Use a reputable make.

Use the performance specification that was roughly current when your vehicle was built.

Use the oil grade that is specified in the manual.

Don't use EP if a non-EP oil is specified, or particularly a non-EP where an EP is specified.

Note that the W.D. / M.o.S. / M.o.D. sometimes harmonised oil specs for convenience.

Steer clear of long involved debates about EP additives and yellow metals - if in doubt, ask the oil manufacturer.

I've tended to use Morris when I can and never had a problem, and they've been very helpful.

Oil debates can get long and winding. But I keep it simple in my collection by using Morris's SAE 30 in my vehicles and Morris's SAE 40 in my motorcycles. Gearboxes are according the the manufactures lube charts. I know that EP (Extreme Pressure) gear oils have additives that can be harmful to bronze bushings. Ron

I second these comments :D