Been Editing Photos!

Jessie The Jeep

Had a quiet day at work ( ie no appointments today ) so had a bit of a play around with my photo editing program on the attached pictures. The picture is my Jeep and my B-17 taken two years apart, at opposite ends of the country.

The first is the simple colour images edited together,

Second is Sepia with the focus softened,

Third is softened Black and White,

Fourth is colour, but altered to try and resemble a WW2 colour image.

Which image do you prefer?

EDIT - Images lost during forum crash

Steve

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

WW2 colour pictures were often over exposed giving washed out colours and usually red sensitive, turning olive drab to a browner shade. The focus of older images also seems to not always be pin sharp, which I'm guessing was mostly down to the camera operators, as there are many very sharp WW2 images.

One particular picture that springs to mind is a black and white image of a B-17 on a test flight in the USA. The camera settings, light level, angle of light etc must all have been just right as you can pick out every rivet on the plane which must be flying about 150 to 200 feet from the camera plane.

Steve

IMHO the "WW2 camera" that took "that picture" must have a phenomenal depth of field.

I'd suggest that either (most likely the B17) ought to be a little out of focus - assuming the Jeep to be the subject of "the photo".

But very well done nonetheless.

This is interesting. I think that it makes the plane look a bit fake, almost like a model, while increasing the contemporary effect of the jeep. You are right about tones, of course. All the early colour film in general use favoured red and yellow far too much - but that's how Kodak did things until Fuji frightened them. But you have got really close - especially with the boxes in the jeep where the half tones come in to play. If I can waste your time, I would suggest you find a less bold angle for a plane pic to take some of it's dominance out of the image. But having said all this, you should put this on a post card. It is a lovely job. Photoshop gets better and better and I know it a bit thanks to my work; but I don't think it can truely match the combinations of the chemicals that made the "slides". As for original pix - look out the three volumes of snaps by the genius Charles E Brown - who I am sure you know. He knew what he was doing. I am fortunate to possess a small number of mono prints he made himself. A colleague of mine knew him...but couldn't offer any interesting anecdotes. As a final aside, I snapped an M3 half-track in the Beltring arena two years ago and a mixture of luck and design gave me one of those propaganda or company publicity type pix of the day and I've often considered mucking about with the colours to make it more WW2-ish. Keep on going...

Here's some other pics I did a couple of years ago.

1) Jeep, Me and B-17 - The B-17F is one of those used during the filming of Memphis Belle, and was taken in 1989 at Duxford, and is a scanned 6x4 print. The jeep and myself were digital taken in November 2005.

2) Mid-Air Collision - The troops, vehicles and background, ( including the smoke which came from a steam train ) were the original picture. The B-17's that have been involved in a collision were pasted in, and some red/yellow added to the smoke.

3) P-47 Ground Attack - Again the troops, jeep and background were the original picture, while the P-47's attacking were two pictures of my 1/6 scale R/C model.

I'd like to see any other efforts made by others here.

Steve

PS I don't have photoshop. All my editings are made with an ancient version of Ulead Photo Express which dates from around 1990!!

You've got something here. I am generally against trying to make pix look overtly original/contemporary in the ordinary sense, and never convert mine into mono; but as a project this is a new area. More please. It takes ages to do - but pleaase continue. The aerial collision snap interests me most. Maybe in the exteme you could get some general cloud scapes to add these to and really go for it! I always remember the scene in Memphis Belle when Mother And Country is sliced in two and wonder how much better the SFX would be now.