Weasel woes

Degsy

Went up to the farm this week to start servicing the Weasel only to discover that it was well blocked in the shed by trailers, a big plough and a fine selection of other ullage. A couple of hours hard labour and it was time to start the little beast only to find a flat battery, this shouldn't happen as I have a solar trickle charger connected to it and it normally starts first go even after standing for a long period. Couldn't get another vehicle close enough to it to jump start it so out with the battery charger only to find that the extension lead wasn't long enough to reach from the nearest power point so had to return home to get another extension reel, returned to farm connected charger up and left it overnight. Returned the following day, battery now charged up but now the starter decided to stick, cured that with a judicious tap with a large lump of steel and away we go. Lying down to get at all the track wheels and suspension is a no-no in my knackered condition so I had decided to put the Weasel on it's trailer to make the job easier, left it ticking over in the middle of the yard whilst I positioned the trailer, when I was getting the trailer it had stalled and wouldn't restart, a problem which I have suffered from before. I suspected the ignition coil and had one in stock ready to fit so although I knew it was going to be a bit of a b----r to change much to my later regret I started the job. The coil is fitted fairly low down on the engine and there is very little clearance but I thought that by removing the instrument panel I might gain access, this is held on by 8 nuts and bolts and as the nuts can't be seen the job has to be done by touch whilst crouched in a very awkward position in the drivers compartment. Stupidly I forgot about the capillary tube for the temp gauge and burnt my hand on said very hot tube but eventually got the panel free but as I couldn't move it out of the way enough to access the coil I had to put it back and resign myself to removing the engine side panelling. I'd had enough for one day so decided to put the Weasel back in the shed, attach the charger and attack things another day. Although it had cooled down it still wouldn't start, the fuel pump had decided it didn't want to play but a good clout and I was back in business and the Weasel was back in it's shed. Following day it refused to start, I had assumed, wrongly yet again' that the fuel pump problem was a one off but after a good tap it burst into life. The ammeter has never worked so decided to check the charging and discovered it wasn't but before ripping things apart I consulted the manual. Weasels were all built on the assumption that Radios would be fitted so they are all fully suppressed and the manual produced the info that a faulty suppressor could upset the charging, removed said item and normal service was resumed. As I have no intention of fitting a radio and as they all looked very old I also disconnected the suppressors fitted to the regulator and the coil. I also checked the output from the solar charger and that now resides in the bin. Eventually put the weasel on the trailer and greased it up and then back to the shed but not without more trouble from the fuel pump so a new one is now on order and hopefully will be fitted in time for the seasons first event next weekend. I did manage to start it once from hot so it will be interesting to see if removing the suppressor from the coil has cured the hot start problem, I will report back in due course.

It's the age mate! I started three days ago in a panic to change all the Dodge tyres, managed to get a set of NATOS and not wanting to run odd tyres, change the lot. Got them done 24 hours ahead of my schedule! :shocked: But then spent the next 24 to kanckered to move. :-D Still it's a nice dry sunny warm if slightly windy day down here, so I've just had a great morning out with the WC51, see the looks when that goes into the local Lidl car park.

Huh, wait 'til you get to my age Tony, I've got aches, pains and bruises in places I didn't know existed but aside from that in a perverse sort of way I quite enjoyed solving the problems.:nut:

Ah, US Army snow stuff.

Think yourself lucky you only have one Degsy ( two vehicles and four snow trailers as of today ) ;)

Thanks again for that motor

I'm beginning to think one is too many but I've thought that before and disposed of a vehicle and then regretted it and bought something else!

Have you fitted the wipers yet Gordon?

Huh, wait 'til you get to my age Tony, I've got aches, pains and bruises in places I didn't know existed but aside from that in a perverse sort of way I quite enjoyed solving the problems.:nut:

While I'm stuck in here. What else do I need to do? :-D

Have you fitted the wipers yet Gordon?

Nope, I have a nice neat pile of parts to fit the T-36 and the motor you unsealed is the one I'll use, got all the links, swivels, and stuff ready. At the minute the cab is off and I'm cleaning up both track frames prior to painting and refitting the driver compartment.

Once that is done, the plan is to blast the cab frame, paint, and re-mount it, and then I can go wild with all the new bits, including the motor. I have plenty of images and dimensions to make the missing dash panel now, and most of the hardware. When the cab is together, roofed and glazed, I'm going to look at the engine, plumbing, and wiring, and when it is all there and running then I'll start to think about the tracks, and not before, since It isn't like I'm going to get any real use out of it. I reckon by my 110th birthday I should be able to drive the T-36 out of the garage, but by that time global warming will mean that I'll have no snow to put it on.

One of the other three T-36 survivors is now rebuilt and driving, but apparently it is really heavy and a pig to drive - who would have guessed :-D

Well the weasel is now running having replaced the fuel pump and removing the suppressor from the coil has cured the hot starting problem. Sods Law then came into play, I aggravated an old shoulder injury so this weekend's event is now in jeopardy as at the moment I have very little use in one arm:banghead:

Your Weasel thanks you for the effort ;)

It's quite possible to drive a Weasel with just one arm, but yes, loading, unloading, lashing down would be no fun. Hot bath and cup of tea with painkillers or anti-inflammatory then?

You're right about the trailer problems but there is also the problem of driving the Land Rover on the difficult route I have to take plus the difficulty of manoeuvering it in the parking area. Unless things improve it would be unsafe and obviously safety has to be the priority. Due to the pain I haven't slept and as you suggest I spent the night drinking tea and swallowing painkillers.