Mystery Signs

Richard Farrant

the scimitars are in fact SEAXES which was a SAXON WEAPON the crown is also saxon in design the use of seaxes appears

on a couple of wartime divisional sign of ww2 if you google Middlesex home guard Wembley division you will see the same design as RICHARDS transfer its very british weapon

the scimitars are in fact SEAXES which was a SAXON WEAPON the crown is also saxon in design the use of seaxes appears

on a couple of wartime divisional sign of ww2 if you google Middlesex home guard Wembley division you will see the same design as RICHARDS transfer its very british weapon

Until your post, I hadn't heard of seaxes, although the heraldic ones don't bear much resemblance to the original knife or sword, I have learnt something new today, thank you.

Hi Wally,

After your last reply on this, I started to google Middlesex HG and Wembley. A flag came up on Ebay, with the exact shield with seaxes and Saxon crown, but the description was assuming it was something to do with HG and only because it was found with some related items. I searched more in to this but found nothing firm. It is very doubtful this transfer has anything to do with HG due to where it came from, but might be something to do with a TA unit from the area.

Think I have another obscure one and will search it out to see if anyone knows. Keep the ideas coming as it might just give a clue.