Bedford cab tool layout

landrover nick

As an update... I now have one of the larger wheel braces from Chris Morter...

It doesn't fit in the clips behind the passenger seat and I suspect that it is not the same large brace as is shown in the early drivers manual... This is because if you look at the back end of the brace, the one in the manual is tapered to a chisel tip / tyre lever and is longer than the brace photographed next to the wheel of the OY...

The large brace I have is MELCO made and dated 1954... It fits the split rim nuts only... Not the hub nuts...

The mystery continues...

Any further leads out there?

Is there an alternative to the double rifle rack, which bangs your elbow when you drive. I have been following this thread very closely. Have copied the tool layout as far as possible. Made a wire cutter holder also made a bracket for a first aid box (small) which I got off ebay.

Hello Martin,

I'm not sure if there was an alternative for the rifle rack... I suppose it would have just been omitted for commercial vehicles...

And I'm unsure whether there was a bracket for the first aid kit, was there? Never seen it mentioned? Is it in the OY manual?

The wire cutters fit...

Regards,

TB

image.jpg

I can not see any thing listed in the OY parts book about first aid kit or brackets although things like pick, shovel and wire cutters are not listed but the clips are.

There must be another kit list covering all trucks with things like the pick, shovel, toe ropes and any thing not supplied by Bedford for the Bedford trucks.

Peter.

I must admit I couldn't find any listing for a first aid kit or bracket for it. But it seemed a reasonable thing to be with the vehicle. When vehicles were issued to units they then decided what additional kit if any they needed then went ahead and fitted it. So I designed a bracket for a wartime first aid tin 10 X 8 X 2.5 inches. Then put a modern first aid kit inside that.

I think you will find no reference to First Aid Kits as they were not allocated to B vehicles as part of their CES.

In the 70,s/80's we only carried one in BAOR along with a warning triangle and flashing light to comply with German law, in the UK we only had the light.

Andy

ANDY your statement that first aid boxes did not form part of the ces on B vehicles is not correct at the moment l can think of at least one the AUSTIN CHAMP as part of its ces is first aid box large and it is shown on the stowage plan and as ever with military vehicles there are exceptions