Taking the pith

fv1609

I'm not greatly interested in uniforms & regalia, but I do have a soft spot for pith helmets. They conjure up a certain nostalgia & above all are very practical, so much so in the hotter weather I can sometimes be seen wearing such a device. Here is a nice little article about them.

http://www.militarytrader.com/Default.aspx?tabid=2041&articleid=5987&articlemid=5693#5693Articles

• 3 weeks later...

Clive,It makes you easier to find in a crowd as well....like a certain parts dealer who alternates with a bowler or top hat ;-)

Well it has already had an airing this year. First day of Overlord was so hot it got drawn from stores. You get the usual comments of course "Gosh, I say Carruthers, natives all quiet on the frontier?" etc

But as the weather changed just slightly I resorted to an Army Air Corps all-in-one wooly pully trouser-suit then Gortex this & that, topped by a NBC waterproof shroud. I do think Paul has a picture, but how he knew it was me, I just don't understand. :dunno:

Well it has already had an airing this year. First day of Overlord was so hot it

But as the weather changed just slightly I resorted to an Army Air Corps all-in-one wooly pully trouser-suit then Gortex this & that, topped by a NBC waterproof shroud. I do think Paul has a picture, but how he knew it was me, I just don't understand. :dunno:

Guess you looked like a model from the army surplus stores :whistle:

• 4 weeks later...

Clive,

Do you have, a desire to be a Blashford-Shnell :whistle:

Or is it a whim to visit the colonies and try to save those poor naked native women??????????

Damn fine hat what!!

See banana frre zone, you like?? nice!

HF :-D

I also like to save naked native woman... NO, you got me sidetracked, what I meant, was that I too like the pith helmet. Especially the ww2 version. To me this symbolize the British empire more than anything. I've been thinking about buying one for years, but it doesn't fit in with the WC51.

Can be found for sale at this link: http://www.uswings.com/khakis.asp

Marty

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
There is a definitive image of the pith helmet for me, and that is: Rourkes Drift, Michael Caine, Stanley Baker, et al.

"At one hundred yards, on my command, volley present: FIRE!!!!"

me in my pith hat when we had better weather

pith hat (WinCE).jpg