Diamond t wrecker booms

I have noticed in some photos that on the booms of the diamond t holmes wreckers they have what looks like logs tied to the middle sections of the booms? What is this for and it purpose?

Canadian Wreckers were supplied with two wooden rollers.

The Canadian Army Service Bulletin of 17-9-43 contained a series of modifications to wreckers to be undertaken by workshops.

One of the mods was to make brackets to secure the rollers to the booms

service bulletin (895x1024).jpg

Hi Gentlemen, I have seen it listed somewhere that these were hardwood logs, 6 feet long and 6 inches in diameter.

Although I can't lay my hands on the reference right now, I did not have the impression that it was a Commonwealth reference. It seems obvious to me that they were primarily designed to be used as rollers, although,as John noted, they would work very well as buried anchors as well. Has anyone got pictures of these logs on US vehicles?

BTW, looking for bits for a 969 or M1A1? I recently stumbled upon an ex-military double pulley block for the 'block and tackle set' for the 1" rope. The significance of this is identifing the brand. It is an 'Anvil' brand, and looks identical to the TM pictures I have. They are on ebay a bit. Enjoy.:-)

Have a nice day. Sam.

Edited by kw573

• 4 weeks later...

John , do you have the service bulletin about the Canadian modifications ? A friend of me is restoring a wrecker , ex Canadian army , but all the mods have been cut of by a previous owner .

So it would be nice to do a proper job on it again .

Thanks Maurice