Please drive safe! Major accident with 2 WWII vehicles in Holland..

Joris

Must admit to hearing of this accident, via another site.

My best wishes for speedy recovery go to all those concerned.

From what I understand, happened was a bag fell off a halftrack, which was in front, the vehicle imediatly behind missed hitting it, but then the dodge was struck by chev.

Whilst NOT wishing to presume anything,..............I'm wondering what the distance between convoying vehicles was.

( I know, from experience of being in convoy/parade mode, it starts off in nicely spaced order, but, (especialy, if on open roads) soon bunches up, to try and keep non parading vehicles, ' pushing in'.

This Is Not a 'DIG', Or Anything, At Any One, Involved In The Above ACCIDENT.

Andy

Whilst NOT wishing to presume anything,..............I'm wondering what the distance between convoying vehicles was.

This Is Not a 'DIG', Or Anything, At Any One, Involved In The Above ACCIDENT.

Andy,

Something that worries me, with US vehicles, is the retention of the original rear lamp units. Back when the vehicles were new, the speed limits (in UK at least) was 30 mph and 20 mph for lorries. These lights are not large enough for modern day use. When I restore vehicles, I pay particular attention to the size and position of rear/stop lights and indicators. Accepted that they may not look authentic........but on the road, self-preservation is utmost.

It would appear in this case, from what has been said, that one of the vehicles must have stopped quick and the Chev C60 could not stop in time.

It gives us all food for thought.

Or perhaps the brakes on the Chevy weren't any good...

Or low sun

Or poor road surface

Or bad driving (it does happen, even amongst MV owners)

Point is, t's bit hard to speculate from the pics as to cause...

no doubt the story will come out in the fullness of time

lets wait 'n' see & hope those involved come out okay

they're only tin boxes at the end of the day :dunno:

Or perhaps the brakes on the Chevy weren't any good...

Or low sun

Or poor road surface

Or bad driving (it does happen, even amongst MV owners)

Point is, t's bit hard to speculate from the pics as to cause...

no doubt the story will come out in the fullness of time

lets wait 'n' see & hope those involved come out okay

they're only tin boxes at the end of the day :dunno:

Thats why I stressed that I wasn't (trying to) speculate on HOW it came to happen. ;-)

Very True,.......and can be rebuilt................ :-)

Andy

Andy,

Something that worries me, with US vehicles, is the retention of the original rear lamp units. Back when the vehicles were new, the speed limits (in UK at least) was 30 mph and 20 mph for lorries. These lights are not large enough for modern day use. When I restore vehicles, I pay particular attention to the size and position of rear/stop lights and indicators. Accepted that they may not look authentic........but on the road, self-preservation is utmost.

It would appear in this case, from what has been said, that one of the vehicles must have stopped quick and the Chev C60 could not stop in time.

It gives us all food for thought.

I can understand your concern's here, Richard.

A lot of jimmy's,.for example, don't seem to have stop lights,............(possibly rightly for period,.....along with brit stuff, I guess,),.............but in modern day traffic conditions,.............. :whistle:

My MW has (discrete)indicators fitted, along with stop tail lights;...not 'period', maybe's.(well, ind units, anyways).........but at least, other traffic, can (hopfully) see my intentions.................

AGAIN,...................NOT A DIG at ANYONE...................(honest !!)

Andy

AGAIN,...................NOT A DIG at ANYONE...................(honest !!)

Andy,

I agree with you, no digging intended, just something that should be given some thought. You have to look at it from other drivers perspective.

On British WW2 vehicles, there were no stop lamps and only one rear lamp which was about one inch diameter....also no reflectors. So a fresh approach has to be given to those vehicles and I set them up as a modern vehicle.

No digs implied or taken... I agree with you both 100%

1st thing i did when I got the dodge was whack indicators on it & get a second brake light fitted as its got more blind spots than you can shake a white stick at & manoevering the things in close proximity to other road users is a bit of a trial at times. Gotta say that shattered windscreen is a convicing argument for some form of physical restraint in these older trucks (mine included)

Hope everyone gets well soon!

Luckily it's not very often we see our green friends involved in accidents. I do belive that most of us are good drivers and drive safely. Let's continue with that!

Marty

Hope everyone gets well soon!

Luckily it's not very often we see our green friends involved in accidents. I do belive that most of us are good drivers and drive safely. Let's continue with that!

Marty

Most of us are indeed good and safe drivers Marty, but as we all know there's that old adage.

S H I T E HAPPENS

I do hope that all involved are not that badly injured and they get on the mend quickly.

What I understood last night was that a bag fell of the half track, which caused the Ambulace to brake and the Dodge to brake. The chevy driver was probably not paying attention or had terrible brakes. It all happend in front of one of the Royal palaces so chances are the drivers were looking in that direction.

Terrible accident and will probably cause a lot of new regulations...

What I understood last night was that a bag fell of the half track, which caused the Ambulace to brake and the Dodge to brake. The chevy driver was probably not paying attention or had terrible brakes. It all happend in front of one of the Royal palaces so chances are the drivers were looking in that direction.

Terrible accident and will probably cause a lot of new regulations...

Provided no one was seriously hurt (as in life threatening) that last sentence will have the worst long-term effects for all. :-( :-( :-(

Read a lot about the accident on Dutch forums.

Lots of misinformation and speculations- won't do that here.

It does point out how unsafe MV's CAN be though.

Also a reason to get a Command to replace the WC21 pick Up.

Its safer to sit in the back of a CC than in the back of a pick up.

Still a accident is a roll of the dice at best.

Whoa. Steady on there......lets not start saying things like how unsafe MV's are .

ANY motor vehicle - any vehicle of any type whatsoever - is potentially unsafe .

Circumstances and a million variables can dictate the end results .

I'm sure there are already quite enough queueing up to take a pop at the likes of us without providing ammunition ourselves .

Whoa. Steady on there......lets not start saying things like how unsafe MV's are .

ANY motor vehicle - any vehicle of any type whatsoever - is potentially unsafe .

Circumstances and a million variables can dictate the end results .

I'm sure there are already quite enough queueing up to take a pop at the likes of us without providing ammunition ourselves .

Dave you are quite right to point this out.

In fact most of the MV's on the scene are in better / safer condition than most civilian vehicles as we tend to spend more time on them making them so.

The main cause of accidents is human error so it would not matter if one was in an MV or a civilian vehicle if the dice falls against you.

As of yet I have not seen an MV leap into the path of an oncoming crash without a driver being at the wheel / tillers.

Dave you are quite right to point this out.

In fact most of the MV's on the scene are in better / safer condition than most civilian vehicles as we tend to spend more time on them making them so.

The main cause of accidents is human error so it would not matter if one was in an MV or a civilian vehicle if the dice falls against you.

As of yet I have not seen an MV leap into the path of an oncoming crash without a driver being at the wheel / tillers.

Good points John - and ones well worth remembering....