British M1 Universal carrier Headlights

Mark Pearson

• 4 months later...

Hi Mark, it appears your headlights in that first pic are the commercial ones of the day. They do not have the 2 outlets for the wiring, and the Bosh CAV badge on the top is a little different if you look hard and compare proper early scout carrier ones. Ben could probably clarify this, cheers.

Andrew pretty much nailed it.

Top ones are commercial lights. Very similar to the pre universal carrier type but with a different wiring arrangement. These type (but with the correct wiring layout) with the thicker front bezel would be found on pre universal carriers. Bren, Scout, AOP MK1, Cavalry.

The second photos shows the correct style for British made MK1 universal carriers (and some Loyd's), these would be the correct type for your carriers Mark. This style was also found on very early Canadian carriers, this was because Britain sent lights, switches, gauges etc to fulfil the early Canadian contract. Rick has one of these early Canadian carriers.

Hope that helps

Ben

The second photo is the correct MK1 type. By the way, the brackets go the other way round. 45* notches at the rear.

Bruce's Bren carrier is very nice but be careful, there are LOTS of very subtle differences between a pre universal carrier and a MK1

I can't help to ask as these look really similar, although I have little to go on.....

The Sexton we are restoring has the Differential mounted lights, which look as if the mount in a very similar way. Can any of you light experts help me with identifying the correct ones? Sorry to "highjack" the thread with a different vehicle.

SD

Sexton#130-0487.jpg

Hi SD

From what's left on the mount I'd suggest that they might be the Canadian biscuit tin type. The British lights have cast mounting where as the Canadian lights have a pressed or folded type. I only have British carriers so I can't help with a picture I'm afraid. I think they may be a standard CMP style headlight.

Ben