What kind of tank are these?

martylee

Yep, these are stills from postwar movies. The first is from "the big red one" and the second is "wheels of terror". Both filmed in eastern europe, which explains the vehicles being russian.

Marty

• 3 weeks later...

Brings back memories. I used to have to recognise these vehicles for a living when serving in the Household Cavalry both on heavy and light armour.

Mick

The second pic is of a pair of SU100 SPGs. The first looks like a T-54 or 55. I presume these are stills from a postwar film?

The muzzle brake / bore evacuator at the end of the barrel identifies the first pic as a T55 with (IIRC) a 105mm gun as opposed to (again IIRC) the 85mm gun of the T54.

I had hoped to be able to namedrop T44 into my reply: a little-known (and I have never seen a picture) intermediary between T34 and T54, having essentially a T34 hull but for the first time mating it with the inverted frying-pan turret from the Josef Stalin series of heavy tanks (depending how you prefer to spell Josef - JS1, JS2 and JS3 or IS1, IS2 and IS3) which became the norm on all Russian and Soviet tanks until the introduction of Chobham-style armour. But I can't. Oops, I did.

;o)