Land Rover Choke warning light

Richard Grosvenor

Question

I may be stupid but.....I have a problem with the choke warning light staying on on our Land Rover S3. Until tonight I had never seen it come on before but now it won't go off! :?

I've had a quick look around the choke control but as I have no idea how the warning light is switched I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Richard

9 answers to this question

Richard, there's a funny little microswitch sort of thing that actually is clamped onto a gap on the choke cable itself with two Lucar terminals on it.

Richard,

To add to Clive's message, the switch has a little button that locates in a hole in the side of the choke cable (delving back in my memory here). It may be that the switch has become twisted on the cable and the button is held in (button in - light on), or that the button is sticking.

Richard,

The choke warning light on my Lightweight stayed on with the choke in - until I realised that turning the choke knob to the right or left a little made it go out! Now that it's in the correct position it works as it should.

Ah ! I've not tried that. I'll give it a go. Thanks Larry.

I had a look for the little micro switch yesterday but couldn't find it, nor any wires that could be going to it for that matter. Am I in the right place, I'm looking near the choke next to the ignition switch?

Regards

Richard

Ah ! I've not tried that. I'll give it a go. Thanks Larry.

I had a look for the little micro switch yesterday but couldn't find it, nor any wires that could be going to it for that matter. Am I in the right place, I'm looking near the choke next to the ignition switch?

Richard,

It is clamped to the choke cable near to the carb.

Hmmmm :?.... I had another look at it tonight but as it was raining it was only a quick look.

I tried turning the knob but unfortunantly the light still stayed on. I also had a look near the carb but couldn't see anything on the choke cable. I can only see 2 wires coming from the carb but one appears to go to the coil and the other to the vacuum advance on the distributor.

As I said it was raining so I'll have a better look tomorrow.

Thank you :-D

Richard

YEY!! :-D. I've finally found the switch!

Very strangely it was clipped to the wire going from the coil to the distributor :dunno: ! The only thing I can think is that sometime in the past it had been knocked off the choke cable and not knowing were it should go, someone clipped it to the coil wire.

Needless to say it's now in the right place and for the first time since we brought the old girl ( about 2 years ) we now have a working choke light 8-)

Many thanks

Richard