Help to ID Bren carrier suspension New Zealand, Australian, British or Canadain ????

Mark Pearson

I have some confusion regarding suspension units I have on a particular British Made Carrier, picture supplied. I have also supplied a picture of the Assie LP type, which is different. Are mine from a Loyd carrier, or Vickers tank, or a different early type ? Much help appreciated.

My carrier suspension below

IMG_2090.jpg

Australian LP type suspension below.

Australian LP suspension.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

Mark,

I've seen wartime photos of Loyds using those bogies, I think they were a version rushed into production to help Britain out post Dunkirk. I haven't seem them on the later mass produced Loyds. You will note that the foundry has been made to cast 'not for tanks' on the side, perhaps as the load bearing capacity ls suitable only for Carriers rather than LTs.

I have 2 British made carriers with these suspension units, and seem to have been on a very long time as Im having to cut the axel on the other carrier. I have been told that these are very early type units as the carriers are both mortar carriers issued to the NZ military in 1941. I have also been told thay are LP units ??.

They do have a TL number, so maybe they are British made, but very early production ?

Just wanted to find out who made them ????

It's a Loyd part. The part number is listed in the Loyd parts list. It's not early, the clue is the size of the number 13*** and the date 1941. Early British parts would have a much lower part number and a 193* date. It also isn't mentioned in the early British carrier parts list.

The British production was suffering from German bombing, this is one of the reasons carrier production was started in Canada. I think a batch of carriers were ready and the only units available (perhaps due to bombing) where the Loyd ones, they function and fit exactly the same as the carrier type, they just look different. I think this is one reason for the non folding gunners armour, again this isn't an early feature as early carriers all have folding armour. It was just easier and quicker to make the fixed type

If the date fits the carrier, keep them on. Strictly speaking they're not correct as they're a Loyd part but it's all part of the story. They may have left the factory fitted to that vehicle or perhaps swapped in service by the Kiwis, they had Lyods too. Either way it's up to you, it won't effect the use of the vehicle, just it's appearance.

Yes, that makes sense, as the carriers also have the fixed frontal armour passenger side. All 3 are Mortar carrier, shipped to NZ in 41. I do think the British used whatever they could get their hands on to make up the order and ship them out. Quite a rare, and nice feature I guess. I do have the contract number, so would anyone be able to trace parts fitted ?

It's a Loyd part. The part number is listed in the Loyd parts list. It's not early, the clue is the size of the number 13*** and the date 1941. Early British parts would have a much lower part number and a 193* date. It also isn't mentioned in the early British carrier parts list.

The British production was suffering from German bombing, this is one of the reasons carrier production was started in Canada. I think a batch of carriers were ready and the only units available (perhaps due to bombing) where the Loyd ones, they function and fit exactly the same as the carrier type, they just look different. I think this is one reason for the non folding gunners armour, again this isn't an early feature as early carriers all have folding armour. It was just easier and quicker to make the fixed type

If the date fits the carrier, keep them on. Strictly speaking they're not correct as they're a Loyd part but it's all part of the story. They may have left the factory fitted to that vehicle or perhaps swapped in service by the Kiwis, they had Lyods too. Either way it's up to you, it won't effect the use of the vehicle, just it's appearance.