Shermans for resto

ruxy

NO !

There is an M4A2 in the UK waiting to be recovered, same place a 2M10 Tank Destroyers, and M4A3's Churchill's and a T34. I know the whereabouts of all In Warcop. When serving as a young paratrooper, I saw these all myself, most are in excellent complete condition as not all are on the ranges !!!

I did however knock out the t34 with a LAW90.

Im going back 10 years....

Mark......

Edited by Mark Pearson

A slight departure from thread for which I apologise in advance but..

up on Sennybridge Range is a pretty much undamaged T55 variant that really does look like a definite 'saver' ...she's still (or was a few years ago anyways) absolutely complete, still on her tracks etc and with no gaping holes blown in her ..

....I know a few of the lads off here have rebuilt some totally wrecked 'ex-range' tanks and some are doing so at this very moment...but ..are there many tanks left out on the ranges that are actually 'worth saving'?..... without absolutely colossal amounts of work and money being thrown at them?...

I know just about anything is 'rebuild-able' if you have limitless amounts of cash and time but....for the average 'fitter / mechanic/ restorer' does anyone know of anything that would be a 'feasible project' left out there?... or is anything 'of vintage' now very much, 'shot to pieces' ????

PS:

There's a few other Chieftains and T55s types (plus loads of smaller stuff such as Pigs / Bedford MKs / Landrovers etc) up on Sennybridge but they are all in a truly terrible state, usually with massive lumps hit out of them and generally having been totally burnt out and shot literally to bits.........

NO !

There is an M4A2 in the UK waiting to be recovered, same place a 2M10 Tank Destroyers, and M4A3's Churchill's and a T34. I know the whereabouts of all In Warcop. When serving as a young paratrooper, I saw these all myself, ...

Im going back 10 years....

Mark......

Mark,

I was last on Warcop about twenty years ago scavenging tank bits with the full cooperation of the range authorities. At that time there were the remains of M47s, M10s, Churchills and some lighter wheeled armour. Soon after two good, partly stripped Grizzlies and I think two T34s were purchaced (this was before CFE) and put out as hard targets and destroyed. There was then a major tidy up and the majority of the interesting wrecks were cleared away. I certainly never saw any evidence of a M4A2 or M4A3 and I very much doubt if there have ever been M4A3s on British ranges as we virtually did not have them and to my knowledge none have been imported since.

I would love to be proved wrong, has anyone got more recent photos ?

David

M4a2 and the m4a3's plus 2 m10's minus the barrel from 1 m10 were very close to the grenade practice area ? Trust me, that were there. The m4a2 was complete minus its tracks, wish you could see the picture in my head right now !!! Happy days........... I tried to get an old friend Jez Marren to collect, but nothing happened. :undecided:

Mark,

I was last on Warcop about twenty years ago scavenging tank bits with the full cooperation of the range authorities. At that time there were the remains of M47s, M10s, Churchills and some lighter wheeled armour. Soon after two good, partly stripped Grizzlies and I think two T34s were purchaced (this was before CFE) and put out as hard targets and destroyed. There was then a major tidy up and the majority of the interesting wrecks were cleared away. I certainly never saw any evidence of a M4A2 or M4A3 and I very much doubt if there have ever been M4A3s on British ranges as we virtually did not have them and to my knowledge none have been imported since.

I would love to be proved wrong, has anyone got more recent photos ?

David