Gland

Bob Grundy

Vulcan in the sun  2.pngI need to repair the water pump on my 1928 Vulcan. Does anyone know where I can get some material to make a gland as the leak is quite bad. My 'Caxtons Modern Motor Engineer', a prewar 4 volume set of books mentions CRESSWELL as the correct thing to use but despite a web search I cannot find it. Is there another modern product that I could use ?

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

try a marine chandlery, as they sell gland packing to seal propeller shafts on motor boats (I resealed the hydraulic rod on my Chevy tipper with this material)

Hope this helps

Morning Bob,

Do you actually want to make the gland, or re-pack it? The original packing was probably based on tarred rope or the like, and that would be the best solution. The Graphite packings we use now are best for limited rotation applications like valve stems and actuators, don't know how good they would be on an engine application. We went to Graphite as a packing material as we needed to fireproof the glands. In a fire situation they will move and leak but will not completely fail.

If you need to make the gland itself I'd just contact a bronze foundry for a lump of stock bar. Admiralty bronze would be best, as the small percentage of Tin makes a difference to the machinability of it.