Looking after canvas?

Lauren Child

Question

Having just put a new canvas on Dolly I was wondering what my best bet was to look after it? Water tends to pool on to of the truck, and I don't want it to get damaged.

Also what's good to look after the webbing straps? Should I be using Blanco or wax?

7 answers to this question

I did much the same as Snort with my SUMB which otherwise has a very saggy tilt and big puddles overhead - I used 1" x 1/4" wooden battens laid over the hoops to stop large pools forming - 6 at 1' intervals width wise across the SUMB (about 72" wide across the body as it happens) seemed to keep the puddles at bay. I drilled the wood either side of each hoop and put a cable tie round with the sharp head scratching join at the top - those minded to use materials in keeping with the vehicle age could I guess use cord and tie it. Once the tilt is on the weight and tension of the tilt keeps the battens in place anyway.

Hope this helps

Iain

Thanks chaps. I think I might try using some pipe insulation down the centre spar to give the canvas a shallow peak. If that doesn't work the wooden battens / bamboo sound like a good idea.

Any ideas on the webbing? I've seen what the elements do to webbing over time.