Skype ????

Mrs Hardyferret

Whats it about - free VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) phone calls from your PC. You can call friends anywhere in the world for free!!

I use it quite a bit to talk to fellow Saab fanatics over in the US and Europe.

Definitely worth having if you have a broadband connection. Audio quality of the call is better than with the house phone! :-)

If you go for it a good sound card in the PC and a good operators headset (ear piece one side and mic the other) makes all the difference!!!

Hi mate - yes use it everyday.

Very effective form of communication, you can send files, images etc etc over it as well and as Neil says - free calls, I have a Skype phone in the office and one for my laptop too so when I am abroad I can makes calls anywhere around the world for 1p a minute. It is great if you have WiFi connection as you can stand anywhere and yack away - great in airport lounges.

Go for it and see you there!

Jack

Well thanks guys :thankyou:

All positive comments, so will now try to find out how to get it and how to set it up. :computerterror:

It's easy:

1 - Make sure your PC has an audio card. If not, get one. Plug into spare PCI socket, power PC up and follow instructions.

2 - Get an good quaility operators headset and make surre it's plugged into the audio card OK.

3 - Goto to http://www.skype.com and dowload the Skype program, install it and follow the set-up instructions for the headset.

4 - Register yourself with Skype as a user (also part of the setup process).

And thats it - you are then a Skype user..........

Be aware that there are both connection and security issues with Skype (don't ask me, but my company explicitly prohibit its use on our ThinkPads).

Skype is a single, proprietary method of using VOIP. Other flavours are available and you may find that further research reveals a better alternative (or not).