How much to restore a bus?

Ivor Ramsden

I'm in the process of finding funds for the restoration of the museum's Morris CDSW Bofors Tractor. Whilst scouting around for ideas I found this article: http://www.1914.org/news/wartime-bus-to-be-restored-with-750000-lottery-grant/

Try as I might, I can't see how it is possible to spend three quarters of a million pounds on restoring what is in reality quite a basic vehicle which is still pretty much complete and original! This is the kind of money that's spent on restoring a Spitfire to airworthiness, starting with an identity plate.

I don't begrudge them the money and I'm sure the bus will look magnificent but, by heavens, I wish I had the imagination to come up with such an expensive scheme and succeed in getting such a massive amount of funding!

On that link there was not one mention of the actual bus in the Comments. there was just people burbling on about the usual horror and their ancestors who were there, it is getting tedious......

TfL's own magazine is the scourde for the quote £250,000, so far, spent on restoration including a large unspecified amaount for six bolts from Australia!

TfL's own magazine is the scourde for the quote £250,000, so far, spent on restoration including a large unspecified amaount for six bolts from Australia!

There will be some dosh made on the back of this, yet again spending other peoples money. Twas ever thus.....

Do you know if there will be detailed accounts showing where the funds have gone; labour, parts, materials etc ?

There will be some dosh made on the back of this, yet again spending other peoples money. Twas ever thus.....

Do you know if there will be detailed accounts showing where the funds have gone; labour, parts, materials etc ?

Don't forget to add on the significant consultation and administrative costs associated with a Lottery Funding application like this. The additional and complex work required to ensure compliance with funding conditions, both at application stage and throughout the actual project, will likely require the services of a funding consultant and will add very considerably to the cost of the project.

Hardly a good comparison, but I think it more than doubled the cost of a local village green project.

The restoration is also on a tight timescale which will put pressure/risk on contractors - this too comes at a price.

Edited by N.O.S.

Don't forget to add on the significant consultation and administrative costs associated with a Lottery Funding application like this. The additional and complex work required to ensure compliance with funding conditions, both at application stage and throughout the actual project, will likely require the services of a funding consultant and will add very considerably to the cost of the project.

Hardly a good comparison, but I think it more than doubled the cost of a local village green project.

The restoration is also on a tight timescale which will put pressure/risk on contractors - this too comes at a price.

the worlds gone ape**** and people believe it

.....The restoration is also on a tight timescale which will put pressure/risk on contractors - this too comes at a price.

Some good, if depressing, points there N.O.S., but the timescale was reasonable at the time when the funding was given. The article was published in April 2013.

I must live in a different financial world to some people. This reminds me of when we did a presentation about our museum to a new departmental chief exec in the Isle of Man Government. After explaining what we did with our volunteer force, we explained our finances to him. He pointed out that we'd missed a zero from our balance sheet. "No," I explained, "Our annual turnover really is £25,000." He simply couldn't believe that it was possible to achieve anything with such a sum.

I worked for 30 years in local government and IOM government so I really should have expected this.