DVLA and 'Off Road' vehicles

Whilst trawling the DVLA website I discovered that they would register any vehicle that was to be used permanently off road for free - so if it were to be stolen it would be easier to identify the owner. Aimed mainly at construction machinery and farms, on the face of it a good idea but am I being cyinical thinking that once you have registered it and a huge number of vehicles are out there and start to appear on the books, they realise that there is a potential untapped scource and at some point start looking for an income from them?

Putting that aside, has anyone done this and how easy is it?

Thanks.

no I've not heard of it.......I've had Motocrossers kicking about for many years and have never attempted to register any of them .......like you say.....if we all registered every thing we had I don't think it would be long 'til it suddenly cost you £20 a year to do so :)

For purposes of identication. An item 'Lost or Stolen' can only be entered on the Police National Computer (PNC) if it has a unique identifier mark. The chassis and engine numbers of a vehicle are unique identifiers, so worth noting them down anyway. So if the little *&^%** do come calling in the night you can get the info recorded.

I suspect it stems from current use of Rebated (red) diesel in off-highway vehicles/machinery. Look what happened to boats - no doubt off-road plant will go the same way. Although quite how it is going to contribute to saving the planet I'm not too sure.