B60 Build. How to set the timing

OZITIM

Mr Friend 'Sid Beck' with the Ferret parts, passed away 12 months ago. As his health became more critical he encouraged me more and more to get my Ferret going. He called me one day and said that I could help myself to his parts. That I could take enough to get my vehicle going. I promised him that I would do it myself. I started the project two years ago from a 6 foot by 6 foot shed. During the course of the build, the shed grew into a 20 foot by 20 foot shed and my knowledge of B60 Rolls Royce engines became fairly extensive. I guess it proves that you dont need to be a mechanical engineer to own a derelict armoured vehicle and breathe life back into it. I will drive my Ferret on ANZAC day in April and I can now say I built the vehicle, every nut and bolt. Australia isnt the easiest place to own an old Brit piece of armour, but its amasing what a bench vice, file and drill can achieve. A ball pein hammer is also fairly useful. While I was lucky to get a bunch of parts off Sids, dont be fooled to think that building a Ferret is as simple as bolting parts together like a jig saw puzzle. Many of the parts I had to manufacture myself. Long nights spent with a file, oxy and hammer. But each step eventually adds up and you eventually get to the day where you apply pressure to the start switch and you are rewarded with the pounding sound of 6 pistons firing to life. The smell of burnt fuel in your nostrils cants be sweeter with the first ignition of the engine. Its the best feeling.

Many Regards, Tim

Hi Tim,

I have followed your inspiring posts about your Ferret adventure...I am sorry to hear about your friend passing....Sid is surely looking down at you smiling and is very proud of what you have accomplished....It is thru generous people like him that share with others that makes this world a better place...

Now here you are sharing with others for many years to come on the internet about the will to never give up...You have certainly inspired me with my 1954 Ferret MK1...

Owning a piece of Military history is a fascinating adventure...When people like you and Sid share to others the best payment would be to pass it forward...I have only owned my Ferret 2 years now and haven't taken it for a ride (except up on the jack stands) yet but it will ready to go in about 2 months....Thank you and the many others that share their ideas and life about their armoured vehicles....

Have you found any history of your Ferret ?

I am really excited to see your video someday Tim the very best to you and please keep posting..

Joe in USA

Thanks for your great feedback joe. Owning a Ferret in the USA, im sure is a bit like owning one in Australia. Very few parts available and very few people around who know how to work on them. My Ferret is number 115161, an Australian Ferret, im pretty sure it served with the 11/16th Prince of Wales Light horse, as it has a distictive piece of angle steel welded behind the rear brakeline, to protect the line. This was unique to POW light horse vehicles. Like all Australian Ferrets, it never left Australian shores. When I pulled the motor out, I found a collection of blank ammunition for the 30cal and link. Other than that, it was in a terrible degraded state, with almost everything rusted. It had languished in a paddock for many years and had been full of water. The sensible things would have been to scrap it, but when I saw it, I thought, how hard can it be. The previous vehicle I rebuilt prior to this Ferret was a Saracen, which makes the Ferret look easy. The Saracen was a nightmare compared to the Ferret.

The two photos are before and after. When I first saw it, it was in a pretty bad state as you can see. I still have a way to go, with a few bits and pieces missing, but its getting there. I just put the radiator back today and connected the exhaust up. I skinned a few knuckles putting the transmission tin back together. As soon as I get that oil filter, im good to go. William Banister said he sent it a couple of days ago, so I wonder how long that will take to travel via air from the UK to Aust.

Regards, Tim

ferrets x 3.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

The filter arrived yesterday. Thanks heaps for the offer to use yours in the meantime. I put it in yesterday and fired her up. Initially, I had an oil leak, which caused a little stress, until I realised that an Oil line was loose. Other than that, so far so good.

Thanks Mate

Here is a video of the ferret engine starting up. Much to my relief, it didnt backfire, run rough, or do anything silly. I am so relieved.

An incredible job to here so far......What's next to tear apart Tim ? Thank you for posting the video..

Ive got another ferret tucked away. Its in equally as bad condition as the one I just did. Or if I can get my hands on a Bren Carrier, I would love to give one a go. Would love to rebuild a Ford Flathead. Im currently on the look out for a Bren. If I cant find one, I guess I will wheel in the next Ferret and start that.

Hey thanks heaps mate. I believe their might be a few hiding down your way. John Belfield was saying last week that he sold his collection to a bloke in SA, but I didnt remember who he sold them too. John had ten carriers for sale in 2008 ranging from $1500 to $3500 AUD (see attached link). Those are the ones he said he sold to a bloke near you.

http://www.vmvc.org.au/Newsletters/vmvc%202008/2008%20February%20vmvc.pdf

Regards, Tim

• 9 months later...

After the engine build, I put a brand spanking new carby on today, fired it up and took it for her maiden spin around the block. It ran awesome. Plenty of grunt and just wanted to belt down the road. Ive got a few little loose ends to clean up and then go for the road worthy and rego.

I would love to know if anyone has a turret lid for a Mk 1/2. Thats the fix turret with the folding lid. If not, I will have to make one, but if someone had one, then maybe we could do a deal.

I will post some video when I take it out next. I tasked my teen age daughter to film it driving down the street. Seriously the worst footage Ive ever seen. She didnt even bother to come outside, so the camera kept focusing on the window screen. Im sure if Justin Beiber was hanging his girlie head out of the turret, I would have someting to post on here.

After the engine build, I put a brand spanking new carby on today, fired it up and took it for her maiden spin around the block. It ran awesome. Plenty of grunt and just wanted to belt down the road. Ive got a few little loose ends to clean up and then go for the road worthy and rego.

I would love to know if anyone has a turret lid for a Mk 1/2. Thats the fix turret with the folding lid. If not, I will have to make one, but if someone had one, then maybe we could do a deal.

I will post some video when I take it out next. I tasked my teen age daughter to film it driving down the street. Seriously the worst footage Ive ever seen. She didnt even bother to come outside, so the camera kept focusing on the window screen. Im sure if Justin Beiber was hanging his girlie head out of the turret, I would have someting to post on here.

Tim good to see you posting again and all is well.....Yes,share a video...Will be looking forward to it...Wish I had some of your warm weather here in South Dakota USA it is currently 13 F above zero !!!!! Keep up the great work...