British tank data plates WT marking

Hamble

Hi,

Does any tanker out there know what the "WT" stamp on tank data plates means. Seems to be on most mid war tank plates and seems to have been stamped after the tank was built. Only idea is that it meant Water Tight but why would a crusader tank need to be water tight. Also Welded Turret doesn't fit either.

It can be seen on Churchill Mark 4 , Crusader and a matilda "ground dug from the Ukraine", plates.

data plate 3 cropped.jpg

Thanks Hamble

data plate 1 cropped.jpg

data plate 2 cropped.jpg

Edited by Hamble

I wouldn't know if it applies in these cases, but that abbreviation usually stands for 'Wireless Telegraphy'.

I would have to agree, that is why we see Daimler Dingo MKII and MKII W/T, same as the GMC Otter etc. some vehicles did not have a wireless set. If these were from Ukraine, maybe they were sent East with lend lease 19 sets etc. in the vehicles and they came equipped instead of having WS installed by Russia. Plus in 42 I don't think all armored vehicles had WS sets, I still think aerial flags were still being used by some. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Edited by lssah2025

Interesting to hear that there was a Dingo W/T as some of the plates with WT have it W/T but some don't. It may imply that the tank was a command or communications tank. The only other thought was that it stood for Weight or Width Transport and meant the tank was ready for transportation by rail or transporter.

The Cruiser plate was a bring back by a GI from North Africa.

Has anybody else come across the WT stamp on any other vehicle plates ?

Interesting to hear that there was a Dingo W/T as some of the plates with WT have it W/T but some don't. It may imply that the tank was a command or communications tank. The only other thought was that it stood for Weight or Width Transport and meant the tank was ready for transportation by rail or transporter.

The Cruiser plate was a bring back by a GI from North Africa.

Has anybody else come across the WT stamp on any other vehicle plates ?

Not on the plate but stencilled on the outside of the escape door of my Dingo was WT

It probably is Wireless Telegraphy, and would be to note that the vehicle had been drilled for aerial cables and had mounting plates for control units, etc. added to the standard fittings.

Does the non-W/T version of the Daimler Scout Car have the aerial boxes fitted to the rear of the hull?

Chris.

the W/T l think you will find has nothing to do with either weight width or transport

I was told once by a WW2 veteran that should any soldier either an infantryman or in a non radio equipped vehicle needed to send a radio message they find one easier if the vehicle had WT marked on its exterior.

Hi,

Does any tanker out there know what the "WT" stamp on tank data plates means. Seems to be on most mid war tank plates and seems to have been stamped after the tank was built. Only idea is that it meant Water Tight but why would a crusader tank need to be water tight. Also Welded Turret doesn't fit either.

It can be seen on Churchill Mark 4 , Crusader and a matilda "ground dug from the Ukraine", plates.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88877[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]88878[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]88879[/ATTACH]

Thanks Hamble

u

Here a Centaur plates marked WT, could it be associated with the tank being armour plated?, I heard they were knocking them out in plain mild steel in some cases.

image.jpg