Mutt M151 starting issues - help required

ian201

Hi chaps, I am looking for some help, we have been having some problems with my mates Mutt, some time ago it started only wanting to start using easy start. At that time we stripped and refurbished the carb. this made no difference. So we then pulled the motor out stripped down and checked all the components cleaned and rebuilt it, nothing obvious was found. The head was refurbished.

Fuel tank drained and fresh fuel in place and the motor will still not start without easy start, once running it will rev and idle fine. If turned off there is no guarantee it will re start even when hot but give it some easy start and off it goes.

Things of note

timming checked and re checked

air leaks looked for

starter motor seams slow compared with my Hotchkiss ( both 24v)

When turned off fuel can drip from the carb ( no filter on at the moment)

Spark seams good.

Any advice would be much appreciated

best regards

ian

Many thanks for your thoughts, we are putting this question up on the G838 forum too, it's a good question re the coil. It has an electronic ignition distributor (original equipment), could do with a spare to swap out and try.

Last year we did a compression test before we pulled the motor out but I cannot recall the results, if it was bad though we would have had bored the block. I will do a compression test again this week to get info.

Thanks again Terry & Matt

Ian

Hi Ian,

Mine is a lazy starter too. If it's not been run for more than a few hours it seems to want to turn over for several minutes before it fires, unless I use easy start. It always fires on the first turn with some easy start . Once it's going it's fine, it'll fly down the road at 60+ and never misses a beat. I've got another fuel pump to try to see if it solves it.

Is this one an A2 with the emission control system fitted? Mine is and I've often wondered if the fuel is draining back to the tank through all the pipes!

Chris

Thanks Chris, no its a normal 151 not A2. It sounds very a similar situation, although I have not taken it out on the road all indications are good once started and from what I recall it would fly down the road (last year before we pulled engine out).

Ian

Hi Matt, we had considered this but the electric pump seams to work well and will empty the tank quickly when on full flow. It is interesting that Chris has a similar problem and I am now wondering if the starter is not turning it over fast enough to pull a decent vacum through the carb ?.

Ian

Matt, just a thought about the fuel pump. It used to turn off when the pressure was reach in the feed to carb but it has not been doing that in recent times, in fact I cannot remember the last time in did shut down on its own, I guess the way test this as a problem to starting would be to disconnect the pump and go for an engine start ?.

Ian

Ian

I don't want to give you bad advice so I'll refraine from (attempting to) answering your last question. Best advice I can give is to post such questions over on the G838 forum as there's enough old "mutt jockeys" over there who can answer just about any conceivable question you might have with regard to the M151 series 1/4 ton.

As for the "lazy" starter, I'd check to make sure all electrical connections were both clean & tight. Might help, couldn't hurt.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Ian,

there are several potential causes of your problem. The two that spring to mind are:-

1. Fuel draining back into the tank, leaving the fuel line and carb dry.

2. Batteries too low to turn over the engine fast enough to "catch"..... low batteries will use most of the remaining power to crank the engine, leaving insufficient power to provide a spark at the plugs. It could be low batteries or it could be poor earth connections...look especially at the battery cable -to-battery-compartment connection. The cable bolts to the inner wall of the battery box and it MUST have a bright, clean connection. Likewise the battery terminals must be clean and fairly tight.

You should also ensure that the cable which grounds the engine to the body is in place and, once again, is clean and tight. This cable runs from under the horn to the motor......make sure it's there !

I have a "troubleshooter" chart which takes you step-by-step through potential problems. If you want a copy, email me directly.

Kind regards....

Ken

muttguru@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard, thanks for your thoughts, we are playing with earths at the moment and having the starter re built to rule these out. If this has no affect it's on to the ignition. It's fitted with the electronic ignition which makes it more challenging to check stuff.

ian

• 3 weeks later...

Starting problem update.

New engine earths and new starter fitted and problem sorted, starter turns over much faster and motor fires up first push of the button.

Thanks for all thoughts on the problem

Ian