M4A1 diesel conversion

hummermark

Hi,

I have been asked a couple of times what would be a good diesel conversion for a radial powered Sherman that does not involve cutting the bulkhead or any of the rear armour as in, if you have a radial engine you could put the engine back in with not much of a problem.

I have seen and worked on a few conversions and I would not say that any have met the above criteria, i.e have had bulkheads cut out, overheating problems...

So I was wondering if anyone out there has or has had a successful diesel conversion? If you have please can you let me know some details, what engine, how you have done the cooling system if liquid cooled etc.

Out of interest any diesel converted Sherman regardless of hull would be interesting to know about what engine choice and how it performs.

I have included pics of the engine bay of the M4A1 radial.

581.jpg

582.jpg

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by hummermark

Hi Mark

we have performed this conversion on the M4A3 several times and have always used V8 Detroit engines, both the 8V71 and the 8V92 both turbo and non turbo. This engine has all the power we have ever needed and more. It is incredibly simple and parts are easy to come by. I can check measurements for you and you can see if it may fit the M4A1 application. You could always go for the 6V92, it is compact, powerful, plentiful and has an evil two stroke sound when it's wound up. I think the 6V53 as used in M113 might be a tad underpowered for the weight of the M4A1. Hope this helps.

John

hi the gaa hull is at natural advantage for a v8 Detroit and rad is there also what cooling fans did you use ie driven from engine or electric what clutch did you use was it a pto clutch and bell housing? what hp and touque was the v8 Detroit? the v6 92 my fit will try to get engine sizes but again the gaa hull does have a cut out in the bulk head for some of the clutch bell housing but I am with you Detroit all the way sound good on song.

Hi Mark

yes we have used both a PTO style clutch and bellhousing and even an Allison Automatic in an M50 conversion. M4A3 definitely has more room to play with but I think the 6V92 would fit without having to cut away the original bulkhead. We have used Bus rads before and electric fans as well as belt driven units with the V8's. I'm guessing with your space limitations electric fans will be your best bet.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We are converting a M7B1 priest (M4A3, Ford GAA) with a Detroit diesel V871 non turbo. There is no problem building one in there. But you dont have much space left.

See our photo's at

If you need more info, just contact me.

Paul Visser

1467315_236124386548566_726953296_n.jpg

1424542_236124273215244_1445018346_n.jpg

1452097_236124373215234_600591453_n.jpg

Edited by collection 39-45

Mark,

If the engine bay in a M4A1 is roughly the same size as a Sexton, without cutting the bulkhead, you only have two choices, a 6V53 Detroit, or a MTU 6V199. The Detroit can give you 350HP reliably, the MTU 450HP. Price will be the big difference.

Perry