On the subject of 'Hoods Attachable'

Eaglehurst

Picked this up recently more out of amusement than anything else!

It is a first issue 1952 pattern smock hood in Gabardine - reasonably uncommon in itself when compared to the more common sateen version that appeared 1953 onwards....

As you can see from the pics some enterprising individual has cut out the material from early DPM waterproofs and tried to make a waterproof, DPM hood! :D It is quite well done actually....

52 Pattern Smock Hood Large (2).jpg

52 Pattern Smock Hood Large (1).jpg

Jason/Harry, the DPM covered 50s hoods........these were either made by or supplied by Silverman's as early as the 80s..........not the first one I have seen either............

Interesting - have not seen one before. So they took NOS hoods and put DPM waterproof material on them for general sale?

Interesting - have not seen one before. So they took NOS hoods and put DPM waterproof material on them for general sale?

Correct Jason......although bizarely the early 51-52 green gabardine hood in a large size is now really collectible in it's own right !!! lol

I had a detachable hood throughout my career (75-89). In fact at some point in the first seven years I found myself with two. I always had one fitted (even to the 85-pattern jacket by the simple expedient of adding a button from the outgoing jacket the the back of the neck on the 85-pattern) except when on guard duty and might expect a grown-up to inspect me.

The second one, I found I could JUST use it to cover to cover my steel helmet and hold in place by pulling the drawcord tight. Scrim net over the top, job's good.