Rover8FFR unit markings query

Rover8FFR

1967 formed as 55 Thames and Chelsea Squadron (V), renamed in 1970 to 55 West Lancashire Squadron. Renamed in 1999 as 55 Merseyside squadron. SHQ was always in Liverpool. When formed in 1967, one troop was in Cardiff, and the other was in Chelsea.

page 168 of Royal Corps of Signals Unit histories 1920-2001.

Better heads will elaborate on this, but as far as I know, command markings placed on the near side wing differ. So if it were in Cardiff, it would have one marking, but in Liverpool would have another.

http://books.google.com.mt/books?id=031WegRPmM8C&pg=PA404&lpg=PA404&dq=55+signal+squadron+history&source=bl&ots=r9nZMAU0yr&sig=YXovU7QtodJkvWZ4N6Vb19M98Zs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZBriUpSGD5SthQeJ-YDYDA&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=55%20signal%20squadron%20history&f=false

30 years on, it's great to see those marking emerge Wayne - when I drove the Land Rover, I don't think my boss would have been too keen on me scraping paint off but I always wondered what was under the DBG!

I see traces of the 'sunshine yellow' from when it was the village recovery truck in Constantine (?) in Cornwall!

1967 formed as 55 Thames and Chelsea Squadron (V), renamed in 1970 to 55 West Lancashire Squadron. Renamed in 1999 as 55 Merseyside squadron. SHQ was always in Liverpool. When formed in 1967, one troop was in Cardiff, and the other was in Chelsea.

page 168 of Royal Corps of Signals Unit histories 1920-2001.

Better heads will elaborate on this, but as far as I know, command markings placed on the near side wing differ. So if it were in Cardiff, it would have one marking, but in Liverpool would have another.

http://books.google.com.mt/books?id=031WegRPmM8C&pg=PA404&lpg=PA404&dq=55+signal+squadron+history&source=bl&ots=r9nZMAU0yr&sig=YXovU7QtodJkvWZ4N6Vb19M98Zs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZBriUpSGD5SthQeJ-YDYDA&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=55%20signal%20squadron%20history&f=false

Thank you.

This vehicle was road registered with a Kent number plate so the Chelsea location may be possible???

It then however ended up In Cornwall for Peter to drive :)

I worked at Cobham Manor Riding Centre near Maidstone in Kent and my boss bought the Land Rover in about 1982 - he would have bought it from somewhere like Exchange & Mart, although, with the Maidstone reg no, I'm wondering if it came from Banisters . He sold the riding centre in about 1984 and moved to Cornwall taking the Land Rover with him. He must have sold it on to the garage who used it as a a recovery vehicle by 1986. I hope this ties up with any history you've got Wayne!

I worked at Cobham Manor Riding Centre near Maidstone in Kent and my boss bought the Land Rover in about 1982 - he would have bought it from somewhere like Exchange & Mart, although, with the Maidstone reg no, I'm wondering if it came from Banisters . He sold the riding centre in about 1984 and moved to Cornwall taking the Land Rover with him. He must have sold it on to the garage who used it as a a recovery vehicle by 1986. I hope this ties up with any history you've got Wayne!

Thanks Pete

I am still tracing its history, but info like yours all helps.

We soldier on as it were ....

Cheers buddy

I've found on several occasions now that spending £5 with the DVLA to get your vehicle's complete registration history is money well spent. You might get a copy of the release document or perhaps info on where it was sold (Ruddington?) or the dealer that bought it.

I've attached the Form V888 just in case!

V888.pdf

Spotted that 55 signal Sqn was formed in 1967.

I suspect this toastie served out it service life with 55.

However this would suggest being a 64year build (93EL57) that is was with another unit previously.

That is the challenge ahead.

More careful paint rubbing at yield something beneath????? ;);)