71 FL 84 Land Rover 1 tonne FC LHD + Sankey wide track trailer 49 KC 33 FV 2381

robin craig

Hi Robin the parts on the merlin report showing 5th airborne and 7 rha and that fact it was cast at blackbushe would make me believe it was attached to both of those units maybe under a different sub Regiment, both 7 rha and 5 air mobile were based at Aldershot at that time and being blackbushe is just down the road.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do they say, "Tiny steps, one at a time"

What a dolt I am. No need to confirm, just an admission.

Thank you Tony for making me go read what I had already posted.

Tony is correct.

So the data card is one part of the history but the Merlin chunk of history should be inserted above the last line on the data card and it will all make sense.

So can anyone decipher what the line dated 17/3/87 unit title "ODA (M/G A/C)" and then below it unit title "ODA (EQUIP A/C)" means?

It is after this line that the Merlin history kicks in and carries on yet the last line of the Merlin ties in with the data card.

I think I should almost re-write it all as a history card like other have done.

Im wondering is there a list of the UIN codes as used on Merlin somewhere or will I have to ask MOD for that?

Its all becoming absolutely clear as mud now . . . .

R

ROBIN

ODA MG A/C ORDNANCE DEPOT ANTWERP MONCHEN GALDBACH ACCOUNT

VBT VEHICLE BEEN TRANSFERED

ODA EQUIP A/C

ORDNANCE DEPOT ANTWERP EQUIPMENT ACCOUNT

WHAT all this means is it was transferred from the account at monchen gladbach to the ordnance depot at Antwerp

this just a record of when it was transferred from one depot to another

• 4 weeks later...

Finally it looks as if winter is retreating. First daffodils are breaking the surface and I am feeling like we might get some better weather.

This year is supposed to be the year of a garage, we will see how far we get on that.

I have been trying to get a paint sorted for the redo on the 1 Tonne. The sand is not my thing. I want black and green camouflage as per the period in time I have chosen to represent, in service with 4 RTR in Germany. For the minute.

Paint is a sore subject out here. We pay a fortune to get any of your UK made stuff and last time I checked I am a working stiff. I thought I would take the opportunity last week to have the tailgate of the Wolf at work scanned by a paint supplier but the result was not a match as can be seen.

I was unhappy

R

101 paint 3.jpg

I decided to go another route as far as a supplier.

In the mean time I started to clean up the tailgate. There are old Union Jacks on the left and right sides, I exposed them and sanded around them. My paint finish is not going to be factory finish at the moment. It will be transport park ready and off on exercise in BAOR. So in my mind painting over the lupms and bumps is just how the squaddies would have done it, so that is authentic to me. Maybe on anothe do over in a few years we will strip if down to its smallest parts and polish them and put it back together, but not now. Running and useable trumps spit and polish.

I have used an Olfa knife and a wire brush and a sander and cleaned the inside of the tailgate with the next attempt of the paint. I know it is quite glossy but I have an antidote to that once it has dried.

Im quite happy so far. With progress like this the job is manageable by slipping panels in to work's heated shop here and there. I have an event to attend in just over a month so there is some haste setting in.

I am using a small foam brush and a foam roller to put it on, it is quite easy so far.

R

101 paint 1.jpg

101 paint 2.jpg

101 paint 5.jpg

101 paint 6.jpg

Hi Robin wolfs over here are a different colour to the old 101s I painted the DAF in the Wolf colour and it passed but the Rapier looked wrong so went for an older nato green! 434 will be done in an older green!

Tony

Spring has finally started to happen and most of our snow has gone and the remainder will go this week I think.

I am happy with the painting results and am using a clear spray in a relatively flat sheen to tone this all down.

Time is a commodity in short supply as soon I will be living the farming dream and breaking ground and trying to get this years crops in. Once I get that done I am off to an event at the end of May and hope to take the 1 Tonne with me but that pipe dream is evaporating already as it is having running issues and I don't think I will want to chance it on a 4 hour drive.

Anyway, one of the big lessons learned out here is to store everything under a roof. Flappy tarpaulins don't work for more than a few days. Winter is out of the question.

I have already stood the "Daimler" shed which houses most of the parts relating to a Ferret. We don't have a garage for our own daily driver car nor a place to work for me, Im using borrowed space at work.

I started a building for the trailer last Fall (autumn) but winter hit and I lost my sense of humour. I have been saving salvaged lumber from around various projects and this week also started work on the "wide track" building. The basic idea is that it will house the trailer and then a 'tween deck over top will allow more parts storage above that so as not to waste space. I have some CVR(T) track that will lie on the floor which will give the building some more ballast, we get some string winds here.

This shed is less than the 10ft by 10ft, the size that triggers planning permission issues. It is a moveable structure as it sits on deck blocks on patio stones and we have big tractors so I could move it in the future.

As it is spring it is questionable weather so I set up a recylced work bench and started making the roof trusses first. We use screws and PL construction adhesive on all the joints. The screws hold it all tight but the glue adds a level of rigidity that can not be beaten. As of last night I had made the last two walls as well. I am hoping that today, Sunday, I will get them stood and the roof assembly which I am going at today on top if I get lucky. If not it will be Tuesday after work as the next free time, I am a volunteer firefighter on the island where we live and it is training on Monday nights.

101 paint 7.jpg

Wide track building 1.jpg

Wide track building 3.jpg

Edited by robin craig

• 3 weeks later...

Robin - back to post #30, extra brackets 'Lashing staples' - if your truck was Airbourne then potentially these were ratchet strap hooks to secure the tilt frame, windscreen and tilt when C-130'd. A-la the 2 PARA FRT's (TuckAway wreckers).

Does it just have one pair halfway down the body - may have been dropped somewhat empty where as the FRT's had three pairs of staples; front, middle and back and were dropped full of kit.

• 1 month later...

Been a while but crops are in the ground and I can breath again.

Had to give up my free spot under cover at work and move the truck to a mate's place. Funnily enough it was raining when I moved it there and parked it up outside his doors. The next day I went to move it inside and as we did so there was a waterfall of of fuel under the wagon and we shut it down quick sharp. Teh cascade stooped when the engine was off so we deduced it was on the high pressure side of the pump.

Later in the week we went and had a look when we had time. Sure enough it was another POST (previous owner stupid trick) when they put an inline electric fuel pump in they also installed the finest quality Chinese regulator, the diaphragm has perished. Considering there is already a bypass back to the tank at the right side carb, we removed this piece of junk.

Testing proved it to run fine and sweet.

That drama sorted.

R

101 Problem.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well,

I am in somewhat of a better frame of mind than I was last week.

I had some lengthy considerations over Christmas and finally came to the conclusion that the 1 Tonne is not for me and it should go to a better home.

I advertised the vehicle on a North American forum a week ago and was deluged with buyers wanting the vehicle.

I have finally come down to ground and have reluctantly but I feel wisely agreed to let the vehicle go.

I am not the slim trim young man I was and middle age has not been kind to me and fitting behind the wheel is not easy but not impossible but it is not comfortable.

I vetted the buyers carefully and feel the buyer in the Southern US is a genuine chap who will take good care of it.

I will encourage him to post in here.

So the truck is going but the trailer is staying, I have plans for that behind a faster more modern Land Rover in about a year.

Thank to everyone for their help including my chum Andrew.

The whole bittersweet taste was made worse last night when I received my copy of James Taylor's book on the 1 tonne, in which I have credits.

Oh well

Robin Craig

Happy new year to you and Jan all the best for 2016

Needs must Robin! Trailer would look great behind a faster L/R Wolf perhaps??

Well,

I am in somewhat of a better frame of mind than I was last week.

I had some lengthy considerations over Christmas and finally came to the conclusion that the 1 Tonne is not for me and it should go to a better home.

I advertised the vehicle on a North American forum a week ago and was deluged with buyers wanting the vehicle.

I have finally come down to ground and have reluctantly but I feel wisely agreed to let the vehicle go.

I am not the slim trim young man I was and middle age has not been kind to me and fitting behind the wheel is not easy but not impossible but it is not comfortable.

I vetted the buyers carefully and feel the buyer in the Southern US is a genuine chap who will take good care of it.

I will encourage him to post in here.

So the truck is going but the trailer is staying, I have plans for that behind a faster more modern Land Rover in about a year.

Thank to everyone for their help including my chum Andrew.

The whole bittersweet taste was made worse last night when I received my copy of James Taylor's book on the 1 tonne, in which I have credits.

Oh well

Robin Craig

I am hoping that the new owner has an idea of what he has bought and his responsibility to the history but maybe he does not. In the end it is a financial transaction and my involvement ends at the exchange of monies and paperwork.I have to buy a box of tissues.

He has a friend coming up to buy a vehicle locally and will use that as the tow vehicle for a rental trailer and haul the 1 Tonne home.

This will all be over by the end of play on Wednesday or at worst by Thursday lunchtime.

Yes Tony, I have my sights on a V8 110 LHD and even though it may take me a year to buy it the trailer will sit sweetly behind that and I will be happy.

Sad and gutted and elated all in one go around.

Robin

• 4 weeks later...