Normandy 2014

First of all,,Happy new yr to all,,,, im thinking of making the trip to normandy in june,,, a few questions, ,, i want to take my gmc & wondered whats the best ferry to use from anyones past experiences.,, im based near duxford id like to go from Portsmouth to cherbourg ,, but will they take a gmc? I know I will have to go freight Or am I best going callis or????.....then making the haul down there,,,,, which I dont realy want to do,,,,, especially in the deuce, ,,any suggestions, ,, any convoys,,,,,cheers guys,

Edited by cripesamighty3rd

First of all,,Happy new yr to all,,,, im thinking of making the trip to normandy in june,,, a few questions, ,, i want to take my gmc & wondered whats the best ferry to use from anyones past experiences.,, im based near duxford id like to go from Portsmouth to cherbourg ,, but will they take a gmc? Or am I best going callis or????.....then making the haul down there,,,,, which I dont realy want to do,,,,, especially in the deuce, ,,any suggestions, ,, any convoys,,,,,cheers guys,

It depends on where you will be camped in Normandy, the other favourite port to use from Portsmouth is Ouisterham, or sometimes known as Caen, This is Brittany Ferries and the port is tagged right on the eastern end of the assault beaches. They take mixed traffic, cars and lorries so no worries.

I will be driving past Duxford on the way to Newhaven/Dieppe and then drive on to Normandy. This is my preferred route as I like to drive in France as opposed to driving in England to Southampton. Done it 3 times now and looking forward to it in June again.:cheesy:

Depending on when you plan to travel out and back it will be a case of what ferry to Normandy you can find with space for a GMC still available in May/June, when I booked up back in August some routes were almost fully booked then, I couldn't get the return sailing I wanted Caen to Portsmouth so having to stay a few more days. the MVT and IMPS have block booked the Portsmouth/Le Havre route.

Its nearly a 300mile to drive from Calais to Normandy so not really feasable to go that route

Edited by Nick Johns

Hi, if you decide to use Brittany Ferries drop me a line we have got a discount code to use

with a GMC I would personally go on the Portsmouth to Ouistreham (Caen ) route

also if you are not sorted with a camp site yet we have space available at Carentan

Commander

Hi Nick,

The MVT are sailing to Caen, not Le Havre. Heard last week that there will be 113 vehicles on their tour on the ferry. Not sure about IMPS ferry arrangements.

Are thats why I had problems getting a return booking, they're all leaving together, assumed they were all doing LeHavre route as that was fully booked

Edited by Nick Johns

Depending on when you plan to travel out and back it will be a case of what ferry to Normandy you can find with space for a GMC still available in May/June, when I booked up back in August some routes were almost fully booked then, I couldn't get the return sailing I wanted Caen to Portsmouth so having to stay a few more days. the MVT and IMPS have block booked the Portsmouth/Le Havre route.

Its nearly a 300mile to drive from Calais to Normandy so not really feasable to go that route

Depends what part of Normandy you are planning to stay. For us Calais to our camp is 216 miles and thats fairly central to the "action" we have changed our plans and are now transporting our vehicles on modern vehicles (long story).

This means we could well have a booking with Brittany Ferries that MAY be available. We had Booked 1x GMC with 6 metre trailer 2x overnight cabins and 4 people at a cost of just about £900, to date I have paid £25 deposit. Of course the trailer could could be dropped as could two people and 1 cabin. I will not know until early Jan our final plans (family issues) but if anyone is interested pm me and we can talk.

Gary