Rusted through inner windscreen, Dodge...

Enigma

Question

I removed the glass from the Dodge windscreen frame to discover a problem.

I allready send a email to a MV parts dealer for advice/spares.

But what do you think what to do?

Is it fixable or do I need to get a repro or Original one (if available).

IMG_7998_zpsdb56af01.jpg

IMG_8000Small_zps529d560c.jpg

IMG_7996Small_zps6a321ef5.jpg

IMG_7997Small_zps21803f1d.jpg

7 answers to this question

I was able to repair mine, which was in similar state, with metal rebuild resin. A nice job for a winters evening. Inside with the bevarage and radio. A dremmel type mini multi tool is very useful for cleaning up the channels. The glass is flat so you may be able to get a local windscreen firm to cut you new glass, laminated now.

I was able to repair mine, which was in similar state, with metal rebuild resin. A nice job for a winters evening. Inside with the bevarage and radio. A dremmel type mini multi tool is very useful for cleaning up the channels. The glass is flat so you may be able to get a local windscreen firm to cut you new glass, laminated now.

Thanks, no idea if I can do that.

Can you explain what exactly you did?

I think my glass is laminated.

Apparently the outer frames can be made in the US, France and Scandinavia.

Edited by Enigma

Very basic. Clean out the rust and flakes at the bottom of the channels and rebuild with the resin. Leave any sound bits of metal in to keep the spacing. I used an own brand stuff from Arco , one of my local suppliers. It is used for rebuilding machine parts. Sets rock solid, but you do need to have scrupulously clean oil free bonding surfaces. That's where the mini grinding tool comes in handy. I got a very nice rechargable one from Lidll for the equivalent of about 12 euro. Handy genral purpose tool for all sorts of delicate jobs. One thing I would do diffrent is to cut some small blocks to keep the channel spaced before the first set of resin goes in and clamp then from the outside to prevent movment. Refitting the glass I used a glazing mastic rather than rubber. Beds the glass and seals better.

I've done this a few times with the screens for the Dodge hard cabs, which are even more £££ in good condition.

Roast with gas torch and wire brush a couple of times, till it is as clean as it is going to get, then just MIG the whole thing up solid, leaving as much of the glass slot as you can. An angle grinder can then be used to clean out the glass slot, after which you can mount new laminated glass in black panel sealant ( NOT windscreen sealant ) and you are done. Do not use the rubber sheet to mount the glass as originally done - that's what traps all the water and starts another rust cycle.

If think the only thing you'd have to watch on that screen would be not to put weld in the sharp corners that you can't get out again with an angle grinder - not a problem on the closed cab screen as it is nearly all curved or straight.