It's an ill wind....

Degsy

I hope no one on here has been seriously affected by the tidal surges which have affected some parts of the country. In this area several hundred people living on the coast had to be evacuated when the sea broke through the defences in several places and flooded property.

My son was called out with his machine on Thursday lunchtime at the height of the storm to try to effect some emergency repairs and has been flat out ever since clearing sand and pebbles which are several feet deep in places. Next week he is to start on major repairs which will take several weeks but the downside to this is customers who had booked work will now have to either wait or try to make other arrangements, not easy as everybody in the area is now busy.

As I said 'It's an ill wind that does nobody any good'

Rhyl looked bad on the tv a lot of cleaning up required eh, didn't you guys get it bad a few years ago?

Dave

Rhyl has been concentrated on by the media because of the flooding of houses and evacuation of occupants but a lot of infrastructure damage has occurred at other places on the coast and in the Conwy Valley where the rail line has been damaged once again, the main London to Holyhead line is also closed due to damage.

As you say we did have problems in 1990 which resulted in a lot of similar damage although the defences held this time at Towyn and Llandudno escaped pretty lightly presumably because the pumps were not overwhelmed and flooded as happened previously. There has been a lot of damage to promenades and sea defences and work is already underway to effect repairs, hopefully the next spring tides won't be accompanied by gale force winds. From the media I know that East Anglia has suffered and I wondered if any of our members had been affected, having had experience of flooding more than once I know how devastating it can be.

Rhyl has been concentrated on by the media because of the flooding of houses and evacuation of occupants but a lot of infrastructure damage has occurred at other places on the coast and in the Conwy Valley where the rail line has been damaged once again, the main London to Holyhead line is also closed due to damage.

As you say we did have problems in 1990 which resulted in a lot of similar damage although the defences held this time at Towyn and Llandudno escaped pretty lightly presumably because the pumps were not overwhelmed and flooded as happened previously. There has been a lot of damage to promenades and sea defences and work is already underway to effect repairs, hopefully the next spring tides won't be accompanied by gale force winds. From the media I know that East Anglia has suffered and I wondered if any of our members had been affected, having had experience of flooding more than once I know how devastating it can be.

Had our fair s hare here on the Wirra at New Brighton. Devastated the seafront with major damage to a new complex just built. West Kirby too suffered

Saw both the good and bad sides of the recent high winds tidal surge. Foden was pressed in to service standing up artics that had blown over in the gales. On M62 and M18. While on one of these jobs on top of the Ouse bridge although dark we actually watched the river Ouse 200 ft below us go over the banks and start flooding the entire area. then one of the lads on the job with us got a phone call to say his house was filling with water and his kids rabbit hutch had floated away with the rabbits with in it. On returning home to our yard all hell seemed to have broken loose. buses where evacuating villagers in buses to a local town. Coast guard helicopters flying about police firebrigade blocking the road all with locked engines trying to go through deep water. Got round them with foden with artic on to our yard full of officials in 4X4s yellow coats scratching their heads. Every village for miles around junction Humber Trent and Ouse was badly hit in our village 80% of homes have bad water damage some have 18 inch slurry in them Electric just come back on after 24 hrs. Talking to people who went through it from start to finish was less than 3 hours. What gets me is it we dont even make the news all we hear is how well the emergency services managed the event it was a farce.

Had our fair s hare here on the Wirra at New Brighton. Devastated the seafront with major damage to a new complex just built. West Kirby too suffered

Yes, the Dee estuary suffered on both sides from the tidal surge, was any property affected on the Wirral side?