Ferret turret as crane

01ec28

Question

Has anyone ever seen, heard of, or used their ferret mk2 turret to crane the spare or the wheels from their hubs? Just thought it may have been tried as a field fix? Also, ever notice how a toilet plunger mounted where the gun protrudes makes them look like a really mean, four wheeled DALEK? (DR Who 50th anniv after all.)

Cheers, Drew

14 answers to this question

Has anyone ever seen, heard of, or used their ferret mk2 turret to crane the spare or the wheels from their hubs? Just thought it may have been tried as a field fix? Also, ever notice how a toilet plunger mounted where the gun protrudes makes them look like a really mean, four wheeled DALEK? (DR Who 50th anniv after all.)

Cheers, Drew

OK let's see some photos of your DALEK or we ExteMinaTe.

BillyH

Cheers, Drew

Changed five tyres by hand on 01EC28 probably September - October 1976 (Nicosia, UNFICYP Force Reserve Squadron) and it was a bitch.

I am sure we have had this discussion before. About 1979 at the Barker Barracks, Paderborn Globe SKC Cinema I saw a film about a group of people put into nuclear bunkers to run a world racing toward apocalypse. Among the various montages of unrest and military intervention was footage of 01EC28 which was obviously memorable to me. Did you ever manage to find out what the film was called?

Wouldn't have thought so, those poor little nylon slew ring wheelies have a tough enough job as it is!!

Alec

I'll stick to the steel plate and grease method for now, it sure does work slick, pun intended. Maybe my guts telling me to get a reme recovery vehicle next. To the question on the movie, no I haven't been able to find out that movie yet but maybe someday I'll chance upon it in speaking with others. If I do I'll let you know as I still have your contact info. I did find ferrets painted up as german minitanks on THE DESERT RATS tv series with big floppy fake cannon barrels though. Last summer we took 01ec28 on a four hour run to a local car show. Great fun! Police only stopped us once as we entered a new region where they had not seen us before! As to the parts taking more space, now that you mention it, the transmission did seem to overrun the garage in last winters rebuild! What is meant by "little nylon slew ring wheelies"? Is that some sort of tool?

Cheers, Drew

I once moved a double metal garage around my block, using Ferret power, to a new position on my own. Jacked up the garage, welded supports to the ferret, welded them to the garage and slooowly moved it. Once in the new posi, took the weight off the Ferret using jacks, cut the welds using oxy, moved the Ferret out, lowered the garage then ground the welds down on the Ferret and repainted. Easy as:) I also used the ferret to act as a crane, using an engine lifter, to build a deck on the end of the house. Mount the engine lifter on the engine covers, chain them down using the lifting eyes mounted on the rear suspension mounts, and you've got your own tow truck:) Little bit of paint afterwards and it's back to normal. Ferrets are tough and you should be able to mount a "bar" on the turret to swing a chain block off. Just make sure the turret base plate is well secured:) Alan (now only a Champ - 46 BE 83)