Land Rover Lightweight Questions

Peter4456

I'm new to Lightweights so can anyone answer these questions please:

1) What colour were Land Rover Lightweight seats in 1981 (black or dark grey?)

2) Does the tailgate have a chain and hasp for each section or just one for both?

3) Does anyone have a good quality photo of the Clansman 351 /352 manpack equipment fitted into a Lightweight

Thanks in advance!

Black

one does both parts

If only it were that simple, officially all radios were supposed to be mounted on the the Lightweight "Unitary radio station" which contained the radio batteries etc and was craned onto the vehicle. In practice this was a pain and heavy so there were a lot of unit modifications to standard LR 109 dexion to make it fit and radios were mounted on it in a haphazard way. In NI radios were often just placed between the seats and not even mounted to the vehicle

Look here for diagrams and a lot of other info about lightweights;

http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/ClansmanE.html

;)

j

If only it were that simple LoL

I see you have FFR 54HG82 RHD FFR production 1980/81 on Contract FVE22A/115/6

Now from the same contracts - I have 52HG33 (Dis 1980 so manuf. a little before) and I think I also have 55HG43 that I believe was 1981.

These were the first with VIN (14 digit) starting LBBA , IIRC after this Contract they were 17 digit VIN starting SALLBBA

There were quite a few changes on HG production , Original Lightweight type axles and some hybrids leading on to the Rationalized axles. Almost certain they all had 10" front drum brakes.

I also have 12 volters 50HG75 (DIS 12/80) AND 48HG31 (DIS Oct. 1980)

Now seating came in for a few changes , the original Charcoal with top-stitch had gone the Burton , the new style seat base cushions had come in . These had retainers on the seat base , with a loose locker lid over the tank (the thick alloy plate screwed to seat base cushion was gone) . The new seat base cushion introduced has a slightly different profile with small rubber buffers front , leather strap at front , the rears have prongs (I doubt if you will ever see all this) , there is no doubt whatsoever at this stage the vinyl was CHARCOAL and manuf. by Wardle Storey at Lancaster. I am certain this is how the two twelve volters always were , I obtained them 1986 at very low mileage and I knew them when they were from new at a local TA Depot. Alsdo - I have the factory build up parts sheets LoL

Can you look at your seat bases , I don't think yours will have "retainers" , there are angle brackets to keep the base cushion in location, description / photographs of tank lids etc. would help positive ID

Further I am certain they would be original style seat-base cushions , I think they would have been CHARCOAL but would need to check a truck. There is a very slim change they were originally black , however that may have been during HH ,, - KA were black.

Another thing you could check - I am almost certain you will have the first stage of the FFR modification to seat-base , this has the new battery box with cover secured with spring clips rather than the older wing-nut securing (these did not have cushion retainers).

Edited by ruxy
amd.

Blimey! What a great reply - thanks so much!!

The original seat box lids have gone (so I'm thinking they may have been the loose ones)and there is a small right angled 'retainer' at the front of the seat box (well made and neatly riveted in place). The battery box has spring clips on each side.

So it looks like grey / charcoal seats then - and try and fit rubber buffers to them!

Thanks again

IMG_0840.jpg

The buffers are very small , abt. 5/8" dia. They tend to get knocked off.

IMG_0842-1.jpg

This shows the taper on back edge of later seat base cushion.

IMG_0843-1.jpg

This looks like a early seat base cushion (squab) but late 1970's because there is no top-stitch.

-------------

IMG_0835-1.jpg

Late construction , this is exactly as Solihull trim-shop did them , however I don't think they actually did the late squabs , due to pressure from early Disco trim , it was contracted out & the stitchers could not do top-stitch . You will not find this superior stitch on late squabs.

IMG_0834-1.jpg

Early squab construction.

-------------

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

----------------

If you have retainers for later seats , then you must be on a "change point" - I think.

I will check a truck for colour , this can get a bit complex.

IMHO , the Black vinyl , even on "genuine" seats was not the same quality as the Charcoal , in any case - I have often changed early Black on L'wts to Charcoal & keep the Black for spares because I have KA , KB & KC's

It may pay you to sign in on Ex-MLRA Forum , a few years back - I did a thread on marine-ply bases , early & late alloy seat/bases / tank covers & a potted history of L'wt seating. I will try and find the thread link but the "Search Facility" is not easy to use.

Early seat screw-on alloy lids , actually Early (late) because they are pop-rivet assembly - not spot-welded LoL

=====

IMG_1201-2.jpg

IMG_1199-2.jpg

IMG_1198-1.jpg

This shows the all important prong location , I make a repro out of Stainless Steel , there is no Land Rover part No. they did not last long , mild-steel & broke across the cs'k holes. Hence later squabs always float around , the rubber buffers come off & leather straps are never tensioned right.

IMG_1203-1.jpg

Bit more info. here on site belonging Dave McCarthy

http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/Seats.html

Edited by ruxy
extra pic