Ferret 2/3 question? name on turret

Cold_War_Collection

while working on another vehicle in the shop, the sunlight was entering just so, and a beam fell on the front plate of the Ferrets turret.

I could see the outline of letters under the paint faintly, and it spells out "HAYBALLER" in stencil block letters

Ferret number is 18 EA 40

As its has some extra radio ant. mounts, thinking this could be a REBRO version?

Ideas?

Cheers

Nick

CWC Canada

while working on another vehicle in the shop, the sunlight was entering just so, and a beam fell on the front plate of the Ferrets turret.

I could see the outline of letters under the paint faintly, and it spells out "HAYBALLER" in stencil block letters

Ferret number is 18 EA 40

As its has some extra radio ant. mounts, thinking this could be a REBRO version?

Ideas?

Cheers

Nick

CWC Canada

As it would happen, on closer examination with Paul, the word is "HAYBAILER". with so many layers of paint, its quite obscurred.

Nick

CWC Canada

I crewed (drove then commanded) a battlegroup rebro Ferret between 1977 and 1980. We only ever had two times VHF sets (initially C42, replaced by UK/VRC353). I can think of no real reason why any Ferret would need more than two sets. When they were used as recce vehicle, there wasn't the room inside for three Larkspur sets; there may have been more room with Clansman, but there was no technical or tactical reason for a rebro Ferret to carry three.

The question I'd ask is whether somebody thought a third antenna base mount might be a cool idea for no reason other than "I can do it" like taking an Airfix kit and mounting bombs, rockets and torpedoes simply because they were all provided.

I crewed (drove then commanded) a battlegroup rebro Ferret between 1977 and 1980. We only ever had two times VHF sets (initially C42, replaced by UK/VRC353). I can think of no real reason why any Ferret would need more than two sets. When they were used as recce vehicle, there wasn't the room inside for three Larkspur sets; there may have been more room with Clansman, but there was no technical or tactical reason for a rebro Ferret to carry three.

The question I'd ask is whether somebody thought a third antenna base mount might be a cool idea for no reason other than "I can do it" like taking an Airfix kit and mounting bombs, rockets and torpedoes simply because they were all provided.

These look orginial, and I'm not sure if they appeared on all variants? I am reffering to the screw type caps in the picture.

FV 701 ant. mounts 002.jpg

FV 701 ant. mounts 001.jpg

I can see this might easily disintegrate into an originality thread but here goes anyway.

Nic, have you considered that the name you seek to understand may have been applied post release from MoD? Was it a display vehicle at Budge?

We both know that vehicle came from AF Budge and its fairly easy to see the markings that have been put on since it was tidied up.

Baz who worked at Budge is still around so he could be asked.

R

The "C" connector is to allow an external coaxial cable fed antenna (such as a HF dipole or a EVHF pineapple for VHF) to be used remote from the vehicle. I suspect Alien may be better placed to advised if the facility was ever actually used in service as the latter at least would entail carrying a mast, pineapple and cables. I can see the benefit much more for HF where a useful range increase over a vehicle mounted antenna is possible even using a low dipole between trees.

Iain

73 de G0OZS

The "C" connector is to allow an external coaxial cable fed antenna (such as a HF dipole or a EVHF pineapple for VHF) to be used remote from the vehicle. I suspect Alien may be better placed to advised if the facility was ever actually used in service as the latter at least would entail carrying a mast, pineapple and cables. I can see the benefit much more for HF where a useful range increase over a vehicle mounted antenna is possible even using a low dipole between trees.

Iain

73 de G0OZS

I hear what you say and it all makes sense. But I left the scene in 1982 and there was none of this then. A battlegroup rebro was nothing special. At brigade and higher I am sure they had more-sophisticated rebro kit, but I also fear that the latter were generally equipped with FV432s to work from, since higher formation took it a whole lot more seriously.

I am sure somebody somewhere thought replacing / supplementing the antenna base layout was a good idea but it's beyond me. It isn't even as if Ferret was in any way NBC-proof and creating a dedicated armour pass-through for the coax made sense. Especially since afaik by 1990 the only Ferrets still in service (with the possible exceptions of Cyprus and NI - neither of which really warranted high-tech on Mark 2s) would be Mark 1s.

Fascinated to get inside the mind of the person that thought this up.

:o)

Alien

I expect it would make more sense in the original role of the vehicle as a scout car if operating NVIS skywave HF (did reconnaissance vehicles ever have C13 or RT321?) beyond VHF range in advance of a friendly fixed radio station or on the wrong side of a mountain - if that role had passed by the time the coax connector was fitted it is probably a case of the specification to deployment time outliving the need !

Regards

Iain